Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma Pro-100 for Digital Negative - Anyone using it?

Canon Pixma Pro-100 for Digital Negative - Anyone using it?

I bought some pictorio ohp but I'm realizing there might be some issues with this printer. Anyone have any pointers please? Thanks, Will

Re: Canon Pixma Pro-100 for Digital Negative - Anyone using it?

Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    I bought some pictorio ohp but I'm realizing there might be some issues with this printer. Anyone have any pointers please? Thanks, Will
    I got so sick of my Canon Pixma PRO 1, I gave it away.

Do not waste time and money, read and follow the leader, http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPres...tal-negatives/
    Tin Can

After piezography turned my pix green, wrecked my bulk ink system and the company denied there was a problem for too long (the perils of being an early adopter, I guess), I switched to Canon and never looked back, so I'll be interested in how I can use my pro 100 for this, too.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Eric Biggerstaff

I bought the Pro-100 several months ago and it has performed wonderfully. I asked the same question regarding making digital negs with it but no one had done it. I have been side tracked with other projects so have not dug into it deeply enough to find the answer, so I will be interested in learning what others may know.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

As I understan it, the ChromaLife inks Canon sellsfor this printer are dye-based. Dyes generally block UV light less so than pigments, which may prove a problem with alternative printing processes that require high-contrast negatives. For e.g. cyanotypes, dye inks should be just fine as the cyanotype process requires low-contrast negs. However, processes such as kallitype, pt/pd and carbon transfer tend to work best (I understand...) with high-contrast negatives, although carbon transfer in particular can suit a wide range of negative contrast by varying the pigment and the dichromate load of the tissue. I find that the highest contrast negatives I can print with my epson 3880 with Cone's pigment inks are just contrasty enough to produce passable carbon prints. I wouldn't hold much hope for dye inks for this process.

Thanks koraks. Someone lent me the printer and I've set it up with the precision color refills. It does do pretty nice inkjets, but I was hoping I could use it to expand my base of images on which to draw for contact printing. Sounds like I need to get a different printer for that.

After using Epson for nearly 15 years, I had an opportunity to switch to Canon. But I do have a pigmented iPF8300.
    After talking to the Head of Sales Canon in Canada I am convinced that the Canon ink density has the most density in the industry [ at least at this time ].
    Find someone in your neck of the woods to print you off a sample. It just might help.

Don't waste your time with Dyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    After talking to the Head of Sales Canon in Canada I am convinced that the Canon ink density has the most density in the industry [ at least at this time ].
    Hmm, that's interesting. What was his argumentation for this? A higher pigment load? I'm not sure who manufactures the Epson inks, but for Canon's 'prosumer' printers, it should be Canon itself, although there are also Canon products that use non-Canon inks, and some of those inks come from the same suppliers that also supply to other OEM's...including Epson. However, I'm fairly sure that this is not the case with the inks for printers like the iPF8300, as they truly are 'native' Canon products. It's kind of difficult to figure out which inks come from which manufacturer, let alone parameters such as pigment load, as those are specific to the recipes that are typically developed either by the OEM itself, or in close collaboration between an OEM and an ink supplier. Hence my curiosity regarding how a head of sales of Canon could be aware of the density (whatever that means exactly) of their competitors' inks. He may have quite a few clues, but I don't think anyone in the industry truly has a complete overview - and if they did, they wouldn't share that information very freely.

It sure would be nice to hear from someone with actual experience with this problem, instead of opinions and warnings from people who don't really know.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    It sure would be nice to hear from someone with actual experience with this problem, instead of opinions and warnings from people who don't really know.
    The vast majority of people who make digital negatives for alternative printing processes use Epson Printers, in part because the concept of making colorized digital negatives began with Epson printers and several systems have evolved around their use, and also because the Epson printers can be driven with QuadTone Rip, which allow control of output of each ink in the printer and gives the user a huge amount of flexibility in crafting a good digital negative. HP and Canon printers have "black hole" drivers that don't permit this control.

This response does not answer the OPs question but does explain why there is not much of a knowledge base about digital negatives with HP and Canon printers.

The issue is certainly not as simple as "pigment" inks block UV light and "dye" inks do not. For example, the Claria pigment inks in some of the Epson printers don't block UV light as the pigments in the Epson K3 and K4 ink sets. The issue is more, how do you make a profile, curve, or ICC file that gives the right deposit of ink or dye for a given process.

Don't underestimate the complexity of this. On the one hand, one can just invert an image file and print a negative. But making a good negative for a specific process is quite complicated.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon