Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Film in Tubes Through Fixing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leaving Film in Tubes Through Fixing

In the thread below dealing with washing 8x10 film several people said they left their film in tubes through fixing. I've used the BTZS tubes for years and without thinking much about it have always removed the film from the tubes after the stop bath and fixed it in trays. Leaving it in the tubes for fixing would be very useful from a convenience standpoint. Does anyone have any thoughts about the wisdom of doing that as opposed to removing the film from the tubes and fixing it in trays?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I haven't used tubes for film, but it seems to me it should be OK. There might be some developer that gets between the film and the tube wall, but since that's the non-emulsion side it won't go anywhere except into the wash water. Just be sure you put enough fixer into the tube to complete the job; it might be a good idea to use a 2 bath fix.

I am always afraid I would leave some fixing residue in the tube and mess up the next sheet. I do like you and take the film out for stop bath and fixing.

Brian,

I find that I don't get enough fixing on the back side when in the tube to properly clear the negatives, so I end up having to clear in a tray anyway after the tube fix.

For that reason, I don't think it is worthwhile fixing in the tube, as it fixes and clears much faster in a tray.

That's my experience, other's may vary.

---Michael

I agree with Michael, the issue isn't adequate fixing of the emulsion, it's the efficiency with which the base clears.

In his BTZS book - or at least in the 3rd edition, which I have - Phil Davis recommends removing the film from the tubes and fixing in a tray.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have a Jobo 3005 on order, (never used one before); is it okay to fix & wash in those?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I use the two bath fixing approach because it extends the capactity of the fixer and is more reliable for thorough fixing. I use the first bath with the film in the tubes, then turn on the room lights and move the films to a tray containing the second bath. I find the second bath sufficient to remove the dye from the back of the film.

I also fix in trays. When I left the film in the tubes *sometimes* it didn't clear completley.

Mark -

I fix and wash in Jobo 3005 and 3006 drums, and it works fine.

Mark,
    I complete all steps, from pre-wash to 20 min final wash in Jobo Expert drums. I am a bit "klutzy", so completing the process in the drums maintains maximum consistency and avoids my inevitable guaranteed scratched emulsion. I only take the negs out for photoflow and hanging. Read: 1 neg in tray of photo flow at a time!! I use far less water and the darkroom rarely gets "fumey".

Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.