Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Instagram? For people like us?

Re: Instagram? For people like us?

I will admit, I am part of the young generation that has been tagging along in many of these fabs. That said, I often found myself much happier just working in the darkroom or whatnot. I started a website, that gets a bit of views, but minimal. Thus after a while, I decided to try instagram and facebook (after avoiding both [well I have had a personal FB for 10 years now] for the longest time).
    I enjoy it, for the tool it is. Other than that, I agree, not much value in posting LF work onto something someone will view on their phone screen. Other than a way to funnel people to your website/blog/portfolio/etc.

Honestly for marketing, I think I need to get out and meet people in the local community and photography scene. Not that I am trying to make a business, but it would be nice to sell a print or two every month. Who knows if this is feasible. My photography has a lot of learning and growing to do.

Also, doesn't help I am lazy and feel swamped with over 600+ photos to edit and years of photos backlogged. Also one of my cats recently chewed thru one of the hardwired wires on my scanner. Well...I had been wanting a v750 for my 4x5 work and to make my other scanning faster (scanning always seemed like the largest bottle neck)...so I guess I will be upgrading earlier than I expected.

I was not around when Kodak was king, but it is unfortunate that at some point (in the 80s maybe?) they took a turn that seemingly kept going downhill. Always a step behind or lack of marketing or something...not sure. I am sure that there is a wealth of articles and posts on it. Honestly, sad. It seems like another thing in history that eventually is covered in dust. A reminder that all tangible things we hold dear and cherish will at some point be at a garage sale or the dump.

I'm a representative of the young generation.
    I signed up to use Instagram about two weeks ago, I feel I am now qualified to say It's a waste of time.

I'm sure Instagram has a place, but it's really more fitting for the casual photo collection or "in-the-moment" photography. In that respect, it looks like a lot of fun and a great idea. I'm tempted to start a page for my iPhone photos and 'fun stuff', but nothing more.

Perhaps instagram has value as a marketing tool, but the serious, creative and self respecting professional photographer can likely find better ways and places to market. Excepting, perhaps, wedding photographers who use iPhones, if there are such people !

Many of the Instagram pages that feature large format photography get lost amongst the flood of smartphone snapshots. Yes, the LF images look sharp and well done, but so does any image when placed in that tiny box. Even the enlarged view doesn't offer much more.

IMHO those who place their LF work in such a venue are wasting their time. They may have beautiful work, but it's in the wrong place and won't be appreciated. Further, it seems like a "cheapening" the LF image - something that's part of a contemplative and studied process - to place it in a venue dominated by 'selfies' and on the fly photos.

What's the point ?

LF work deserves a dignified presentation. Instagram, while it serves a worthwhile purpose for certain types of photography, does not elevate well done LF photography.

I don't mean to offend anyone - just my humble opinion.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

I like instagram, you have to make something to put it on, even if it is taking a picture and filtering the bejezzus out of it. I don't like sharing and re-posting BS of other social networks...

Anyway mine is https://instagram.com/atracksler/ if anyone cares to look at my stuff...

I've already replied to this a while back, but it seems to bear repeating months later. I'm still having fun with it. People seem to expect some huge thing out of it because it's popular. I expect nothing out of it and enjoy it. I still think it is best as a form of visual journaling, and I don't even care about selfies (I hate that word) or shots of my lunch. It can certainly be a platform for insane narcissism, but it can also be a platform for sharing enthusiasm for life in general.

https://instagram.com/davidrmunson

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    I've already replied to this a while back, but it seems to bear repeating months later. I'm still having fun with it. People seem to expect some huge thing out of it because it's popular. I expect nothing out of it and enjoy it. I still think it is best as a form of visual journaling, and I don't even care about selfies (I hate that word) or shots of my lunch. It can certainly be a platform for insane narcissism, but it can also be a platform for sharing enthusiasm for life in general.

https://instagram.com/davidrmunson
    I've met a TON of models through it though, it can be good social networking at least.

http://instagram.com/stonenycfoto

Your profile is private

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    Your profile is private
    Yup, my first profile had over 2,000 followers in a short time and then I was flagged by some religious zealot and got deleted because of content, so now I personally approve (or deny) every follower.

If your profile is blank, or you're ultra religious, or just have pics of your kids I'll probably not approve you, only obvious photographers and models, who aren't children trying to moderate the world, are approved.