Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 'Old fashioned' cameras ?

Drew Wiley

Re: 'Old fashioned' cameras ?

NG had an interesting article on Palaeo-Indians that finally admits something I've known for decades; but the other 50% was still the same ole hearsay baloney
    that never made sense to begin with. Then there was an article about Nigeria that had some good Polaroid portraits in it, and a brief one on Palaelithoic cave art. I obviously still subscribe; but I wouldn't if it were an e-magazine. I even know lot's of young folks who detest the concept of e-books; so it isn't just me.

I prefer to describe my camera as vintage
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've a short list of things I'll buy.
    One item is a genuine accordion case to carry a view camera.
    It's about the moment of opening it, except in our Polish neighborhood. I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone there.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 27-Jan-2015 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by jac@stafford.net View Post
    i've a short list of things i'll buy.
    One item is a genuine accordion case to use for a view camera.
    It's about the moment of opening it, except in our polish neighborhood. I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone there.
    roflmao!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

2 Bit Hack

The one thing that all these cameras, from the 1887 11x17 to the Nikon D820, have in common is capturing the moment. What anyone else thinks is, well, their opinion and has nothing to do with the image.

On my last trip I had several comments about the Horseman monorail I was lugging around. Always the question of how old the camera was. How hard was the film to get. Why would I use such an old piece of equipment when digital was so much easier. I would simply say, "It is all about the image, not the camera." I still get well educated people asking why I use 4x5 when I have a D800e sitting right there. They assume that digital is just as good.
    Regards

Marty

Because a VC is new (ish) doesn't mean it isn't "old fashioned". I could buy a brand new black powder gun or long bow or grow a handlebar mustache or buy a tophat and it would still be old fashioned.

I get that question too but enjoy the interest. Its is definitely old fashioned and in this case it is a good thing.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

Well, since I last posted, I've gotten more admirable comments on the Norma. If I'm toting a mahogany view camera people stop to admire that too, but always ask me how old it is. So I politely respond that the hardware is titanium (not exactly an antique!). With the Norma they kinda know, because it looks at the peak of modern machined quality, just like it is, prior to everything being made out of anodized aluminum etc. Like a classic motorcycle from the same era (or my Durst enlargers). I'm getting to be more of an antique at this point than any of my cameras!

joseph

I have no problem with having my camera described as 'old-fashioned' - because that's what it is.
    I think it's important to distinguish the word 'fashion' as a verb, meaning 'to make' and not a noun, meaning ''a trend'.

I would have a problem with someone calling my camera 'old' though, and that's a question I get asked more often. Even if the camera is a 1990's Arca F-Line...

Not because the camera isn't old, but because those people who use cameras which actually have some age to them would not be very happy.

When people ask me how old my 2008 Ebony is, I just tell them "It was made in oh eight" and let them guess the century!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

My Speed Graphic must be old fashioned--whenever you see one in a movie, everyone is wearing a hat.

Of course LF cameras are old-fashioned--they haven't been 'current fashion' for many decades. They're still in use, and you can still buy them new, but they're definitely old-fashioned.