Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Old fashioned' cameras ?

Richard Johnson

Re: 'Old fashioned' cameras ?

This says more about how lousy National Geographic magazine has become in recent years.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    My 8x10 is from 1888, and the 11x14 from 1887. I'm pretty sure that goes right past 'old-fashioned' and into 'antique' territory.
    No, you're just decrepit. Welcome to the club, pull up a stool and enjoy...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

With my wooden Wista, folks often think I'm using an "antique" camera, even though I bought it new in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    With my wooden Wista, folks often think I'm using an "antique" camera, even though I bought it new in 1989.
    Ben, the original Canon 5D which was the first full frame digital camera was announced in August of 2005. Quite often I have seen it advertised as the "Classic" 5D.

By digital standards your 89 Wista probably is an antique!

Drew Wiley

I got a few camera comments this weekend. It was my annual ritual walk on the Bear Valley Trail over at Pt Reyes - one of the easiest and most popular trails in the entire Bay Area, but people spread out quickly and are always very polite and don't walk in front of the camera without asking first, and the lack of
    wind and crisp winter light are really exceptional there this time of year. The trail attracts a lot of nature-loving types, so everyone seems to have had a DLSR
    rather than a cell phone camera. Some tripods. Most just stared at my pack and couldn't believe that thing was just for the sake of a camera. I packed the 4x5 Norma and smaller Ries this time because of some depth of field issues I've had with the 8x10 previously. One guy simply stated, "beautiful camera!". Well, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Which proves that antique and old fashioned are not necessarily equivalents.

Geezz Fred , its only December , just wait til Feb 18thor so everything will piss you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Am I the only one who is frustrated when large format field cameras are described in articles as 'old fashioned' ?

A National Geographic piece on favourite cameras used by their photographers describes a metal folding Wista field as such. Is this a fall back catch phrase that they think people will twig onto ? Isn't everything old fashioned ? I could say a Leica MP is old fashioned since it's not far departed from a Leica II (in working principle).

Drew Wiley

I'd say it's NG that's behind the times. Every time they feature some sheet film use, they do something absurdly dated with it, like showing the neg edges all fuzzy,
    ala 70's - trying to look trendy I guess; but it generally comes out corny.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'd say it's NG that's behind the times. Every time they feature some sheet film use, they do something absurdly dated with it, like showing the neg edges all fuzzy,
    ala 70's - trying to look trendy I guess; but it generally comes out corny.
    Does anyone still print magazines?
    Wouldn't it be easier to just view them digitally? ..... Nat Geo sounds old fashioned to me.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Geezz Fred , its only December , just wait til Feb 18thor so everything will piss you off.
    I KNOW !!! by the time we get around to the family stat holiday off in Feb, I'll probably be in full grump mode lol

tbh, coming from people who watch me use the camera out and about in Toronto or wherever doesn't phase me, they're honestly curious and almost always surprised to hear that these cameras are still being made and that film is not impossible to find. reading it in a NatGeo piece is another thing. one could suggest they're old fashioned being a dead tree publication etc..
    notch codes ? I only use one film...