Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Going to Great North

Re: Going to Great North

Shutter cleaned of all lubrication, for the cold, and wear an anorak, for the cold.

Once you return, have the shutter lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Shutter cleaned of all lubrication, for the cold, and wear an anorak, for the cold.

Once you return, have the shutter lubed.
    +1

Perhaps consider a dry lube like graphite. Discuss temps with your CLA tech.

Also, consider camera assembly/adjustments (focus/film holder loading/darkslide removal) in a vehicle. Then do a photo hit-and-run on the chilly tundra aided by a wire-frame viewfinder/sportfinder. Effect: minimal time outdoors, minimal temp change to you and equipment, minimal frost likelihood and on to the next.

Have a blast.

When going into a warm room with cold equipment, place the gear in a plastic bag and seal it so warm moist air can not condense on the cold gear. Once it reaches indoor temperature, you can remove it to unload film, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lfpf View Post
    Perhaps consider a dry lube like graphite. Discuss temps with your CLA tech.
    Nooooo! Not graphite in a shutter. That stuff is like like a nano contaminate. It gets into the lens, everywhere, and is a b1tch to get out, if you ever can.

I was out shooting at -30 yesterday with my Speed Graphic. This time the old Graphex shutter didn't freeze up, which was nice, although my tripod legs did. Seriously though don't do anything to your shutter until you have tested it, most of mine (as well as most of my other cameras) work OK in the extreme cold without any service. Ditto with batteries, lithium batteries are relatively impervious to cold weather and I've never had a battery problem.

I've also never put anything in a plastic bag when taking it in from the cold and it's never been an issue. YMMV. I do know polar photographers (like Martin Hartley) will often just leave their gear outside the tent all night.

I have an old Kodak publication on arctic photography at home, Just for fun I flipped through it and their advice on using large format boils down to "don't do it'".

or you could leave it on bulb and take long exposures
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I'm not going to read all the posts, or give you any real advice since I'm sure most of it has already been covered.

However I'm in Yellowknife, NWT up to twice a week, and the temperatures are often colder there than your expecting. -35 is almost the normal. In 1 month I will be traveling 300km further North from there, straight over from the Top of Hudsons Bay on the map. It is often -55 or colder up there.

When there is no wind those of us silly enough to be out there will often get out of our trucks with just a light jacket on for a quick job. Although you'll never see it on the show Ice Road Truckers (which is what I do... no I'm not on TV) we'll even have a window open at times enjoying the fresh air. However when the wind picks up it'll freeze exposed flesh in seconds. The wind picks up in seconds with no warning.

Bring lots of water, and if possible keep it inside your coat close to your body. The air is very dry, and you will dehydrate quickly without it.

Plus don't just buy the top of the line winter coat from Walmart. You'll freeze in it. Find out what the locals where, and see if you can get the same.

One more thing. I've been 10 feet from wolves who were not afraid of my truck. The chances are they'll never hurt you, and I've never heard of a wolf attacking a human, but they're still something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Nooooo! Not graphite in a shutter. That stuff is like like a nano contaminate. It gets into the lens, everywhere, and is a b1tch to get out, if you ever can.
    Hm, not a problem. It simply works for some and emphatically not for others. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Regardless, I'm glad to see the resulting photos.

Hey if you are coming make sure you get a Team Canada Jersey!!!!!We are the Champs!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hey if you are coming make sure you get a Team Canada Jersey!!!!!We are the Champs!!!!!!!!
    Don't rub it in, Bob; we are only the World Junior champs and Olympic champions.
    Um, we're talking about hockey.