Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Going to Great North

Re: Going to Great North

What the hell is a (an) "Anorak"?
    Around here, we shovel out till -30 with a sweater,
    then lower than that we have to wear a parka.

The other two months of the year ( when there's no snow) we wear shorts and T-shirts.

And, we carry BIG swatters for the mosquitoes !!

Quote Originally Posted by danno@cnwl.igs View Post
    What the hell is a (an) "Anorak"?!
    Inuit word for a cold weather garment similar to a parka but without a front zipper opening. It's pulled over your head.

Hi guys, thank you very much for all those infos, I'll have to meditate on that now !

Currently, I'm f*****g lost in the midst of all those brands of outdoor clothes ! Especially concerning the parka I should get...

Thanks again for all your help !

Simply buy the best parka you can afford!
    All about the film!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hey if you are coming make sure you get a Team Canada Jersey!!!!!We are the Champs!!!!!!!!
    We are rather proud of Warroad, Minnesota. Granted, it is on your border.

Hi, me again !

So, here I am, in Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories. Quite exciting and so much to photograph !
    Therefore, I come to ask a little question. So far everything has been great with my cameras, I've enjoyed myself with my graflex and I'm starting to really like this great format. However, I have a question about one of the film I use. Among my Portra, I have some ektachrome 100 positive film. I come to know that those films are quite less flexible than my good (or should I say perfect !) portra. I was wondering about shooting snow and so much light. I photograph landscapes mostly, and sometimes portraits. So here is my question : Should I underexpose a bit my ektachrome? Like about 1 stop? Or maybe more?

I've been trying to dig the internet about that but my internet service is so bad, I had to give up and try to post that message, hoping it would work !

So thank you very much in advance, I hope somebody has the answer

Teo

Primarily depends on how you meter. I don't adjust metering with my incident meter, but I'm not shooting e6 either. TTL meters require adjustment for snow regardless of the film used.

I use a gossen lunasix 3 in reflective light. It's in great shape and has always been working well.
    And with my fuji gs645 I use the meter of the camera which I think is a TTL.

Thanks for your help

Anybody has a clue ?

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by LastB View Post
    I use a gossen lunasix 3 in reflective light. It's in great shape and has always been working well.
    And with my fuji gs645 I use the meter of the camera which I think is a TTL.

Thanks for your help
    For partially snowy scenes, I suggest you use the incident dome on your Lunasix 3. Or with the GS645, try taking a reading on something that isn't snow. You can just over-expose by 1 stop as a rule of thumb, I personally use a spotmeter and take into account where I want the detail in my photo. Since I like the texture and shapes of blown snow, I tend to not over-expose so much, or I use some aggressive compensating developing if I want to keep detail in tree bark, rocks or whatever but have a nice smooth tonality in snowdrifts (in B&W- much harder to pull this off with color film).

Have fun! If you're not sure, particularly in 4.5x6, just bracket your shots for now. Over-expose by, say, 1.5 stops, and shoot one with the straight meter reading.