Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 enlarger details please

4x5 enlarger details please

I’m thinking of converting a monorail 4x5 into an enlarger and chewing over preliminary ideas. At most I’d want to do 16x20 prints from 4x5. Would one or two of you kindly measure your 4x5 enlarger for me and let me know the following?:

Height of neg carrier from baseboard when set up for 16x20 with 150 mm lens;
    Angle of column/frame to baseboard;
    Horizontal distance of lens centre from column;
    Height of column/frame.

Although I used to own an Omega 4x5, I rather fancy the Beseler frame from the point of view of simplicity and rigidity, but I’m open to ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

Barry

Re: 4x5 enlarger details please

I'll measure this up if you will explain why you wish to convert a perfectly well designed Beseler enlarger with a monorail camera.

It doesn't make sense, unless you are missing the entire head, bellows, et al.

I have a MX or a CB7, but the lens is the determining factor.
    Tin Can

To make an enlarger from a large format camera, it might be easier to make it horizontal. You will need to construct a negative stage and negative holder. Light sources can be problematic, but LED panels show promise.

I get about 40" from baseboard to negative to project a 16 x 20" image with a 150mm lens. The lens center is 16" from the column base at that height.
    Some 4x5 enlargers have a vertical column. Either way, the lens has to be at least 8" from the column base.

Thanks guys. Randy, you've misunderstood me - I want to make an enlarger from a camera. I favour the idea of making a frame like the Beseler design.
    ic-racer, thanks for the measurements - very helpful. I've considered a horizontal design, but room space is limiting, so I think it'll have to be vertical. I agree about led panels.. At the moment I can only see 12" square ones available, which are a bit large, but I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    Thanks guys. Randy, you've misunderstood me - I want to make an enlarger from a camera. I favour the idea of making a frame like the Beseler design.
    ic-racer, thanks for the measurements - very helpful. I've considered a horizontal design, but room space is limiting, so I think it'll have to be vertical. I agree about led panels.. At the moment I can only see 12" square ones available, which are a bit large, but I'll keep looking. Thanks again.
    Ok, now I see. I also know Australia has a a dearth of anything film based.

These LED panels work well for 5x7 and could be masked down. See my threads in DIY.

http://www.amazon.com/Artograph-Ligh...raph+light+pad

Good luck!
    Tin Can

Barry,
    What is the question or situation you are trying to find an answer to?
    In Canada and the USA 4x5 enlargers are available for little money, so what you are trying to do makes little sense with the info we are currently working with...
    I did go through a similar exercise when looking to enlarge 8x10 negatives while being in possession of only a couple of 4x5 enlargers.
    Big issue will be a light source, the rest will be easy, although not nearly as easy as finding a working 4x5 enlarger, hence my earlier question...
    Let us know what your thoughts are.
    Regards,
    Len

Distances are going to be the same as using a 150mm lens and ground glass pointed at a 16x20 subject.

Graflex graflarger was a system for turning graflex cameras into enlargers; the light source is a nasty green that likely would be incompatible with VC/MG paper. It did come with a nice negative carrier though.

You're going to have the search the history here for DIY enlarger light sources.

If you're patient I'm sure an enlarger will become available.

Randy, that Artograph light box looks good; I remember reading about it on your earlier thread. I'll keep it in mind.

Len, thanks for your input. I knew someone would suggest finding a used enlarger, as they are plentiful in Nth America and prices are low. It's frustrating in Aust. to hear of all that equipment available for a song, but such is not the case here. 4x5 enlargers come up occasionally but are usually much dearer than in other countries: I paid $1000 for my Chromeger Super D in the 90s and should never have sold it (I'd returned to study and had no darkroom at the time - sold all my gear, but it's what you do at times). I can't afford an enlarger at the moment, so the next best is to make do. I plan to use my 4x5 Linhof for the enlarger; sadly I don't use it much, can't backpack it, and I have a Toyo 45AX that is easy to transport. The Linhof is a beautiful camera, but doesn't have much value, so it makes sense to adapt it for enlarging. The precision is good and movements are an added bonus.

Jason, I was just after some basic measurements to help me in designing the support. I want to ensure that I have enough room on the baseboard for a 16x20, so column angle and lens offset are important to know. I know about the graflarger, but as you say, the light colour is likely a problem. I think I'll push ahead with led lighting as they have long operating life and heat generation is low.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Barry
    Missed your location, hence hedging in my initial comment.
    I had over C$1000 invested in my D5 Chromega during the 1990's but then I see a Durst 8x10 with a colour head listed in Toronto for $2000 obo this weekend, so wondering what my D5 would be worth these days.
    Might just want to put out a WTB in the forum or locally and save yourself and a good Linhof a lot of anguish...
    Can provide some dimensions once I get home.
    Good luck,
    Len

Although it isn't ideal at least with a horizontal setup you can use a bench with rollers on it or even a tripod to move it back and forth as needed.