Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 500 Watt enlarger bulb?

Re: 500 Watt enlarger bulb?

Those are the ones we use for motion picture use and I think they would be fine for this use too but I don't know what the ventilation is like on this enlarger. Look for a ceramic version to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Seems like a few options, found this one.

http://www.garvinindustries.com/ligh...udMaAgYP8P8HAQ

So do you think a certain version of the adapter would be necessary because of the high wattage bulb? Or should they all work just fine?

The adapter shouldn't interfere with the bulb position since the connector is floating anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    At 2000hr life, it is probably going to be less bright than a 250W enlarger bulb, but much hotter - this could be a danger for your negatives. [...]
    Thanks, Sevo. Silly me: I equated Watts with brightness. I'll spend the rest of the morning learning up. Already it is clear that given only lumens, we cannot calculate watts, nor visa-verse.

I see from 1000bulbs.com such metrics as lumen, watt and candle power, but not all for each bulb so I must learn which metrics matter most and how to convert, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Thanks, Sevo. Silly me: I equated Watts with brightness. I'll spend the rest of the morning learning up. Already it is clear that given only lumens, we cannot calculate watts, nor visa-verse.

I see from 1000bulbs.com such metrics as lumen, watt and candle power, but not all for each bulb so I must learn which metrics matter most and how to convert, if possible.
    Yes, and what's the lumens or whatever of the original 500W enlarger bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Those are the ones we use for motion picture use and I think they would be fine for this use too but I don't know what the ventilation is like on this enlarger. Look for a ceramic version to be sure.
    Thanks, ceramic, looking...

Nope, all the ones that start as a medium and go UP to a mogul are plastic...

At least this one lists the maximum wattage...

http://www.bulborama.com/MEDIUM-E26-...WscaAjxD8P8HAQ

Since we are going to be permanently switching to using a Mogul base, I think it might just be easier to re-wire for a mogul socket... It's just a dangling wire...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419785730.454135.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	127263

There is poor ventilation but a fan could easily be added.

Stone, sorry if this was mentioned, as there are hundreds of posts on your enlarger, but the wires look to have asbestos covering to me. The asbestos is rougher and not a smooth as fiberglass weave covering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I must learn which metrics matter most and how to convert, if possible.
    As long as you use one unit for comparison (or convert), it does not matter whether you use Lumen or Candela, or candle power.

Watts are quite meaningless when it comes to the light output - watts are determined by the resistance of the filament, and a long thick filament will have the same total electrical resistance as a short thin one, while each mm of it will heat to a much lower temperature. The filament temperature controls the proportion of visible light emitted besides the infrared (i.e. brightness), and the evaporation of filament metal (i.e. life time). Within practical limits "fast burning" (10h) photo lamps have about 50-70% higher light output than equally powered "long life photo" or general purpose household incandescent lamps, and more than twice that of long life utility lamps of identical electric power.

Moving up to a lamp that has higher electrical power than the original always is a risk - the extra power is emitted as heat, and given that most enlargers were designed to be safe with the heat output from the original wattage, but little extra margin, you'll risk the negatives, enlarger, or even a fire.

I don't know if you guys have seen these mogul based PIZZA lights. A diffuser screen over this and it might work well with the condensers.

BTW, I just got my first condenser enlarger to play with. It is a unique additive Philips color condenser head. The three dichroic reflector lamps shine on a white translucent disk. The white disk serves as the focus point for the condensers (rather than the frosted globe of a bulb). The orientation of the lamp to the condensers reminded me of a small version of your Saltzman condenser head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mogul_E40_base_high_power_led_pizza.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	127265

As long as you use one unit for comparison (or convert), it does not matter whether you use Lumen or Candela, or candle power.

Watts are quite meaningless when it comes to the light output - watts are determined by the resistance of the filament, and a long thick filament will have the same total electrical resistance as a short thin one, while each mm of it will heat to a much lower temperature. The filament temperature controls the proportion of visible light emitted besides the infrared (i.e. brightness), and the evaporation of filament metal (i.e. life time). Within practical limits "fast burning" (10h) photo lamps have about 50-70% higher light output than equally powered "long life photo" or general purpose household incandescent lamps, and more than twice that of long life utility lamps of identical electric power.

Moving up to a lamp that has higher electrical power than the original always is a risk - the extra power is emitted as heat, and given that most enlargers were designed to be safe with the heat output from the original wattage, but little extra margin, you'll risk the negatives, enlarger, or even a fire.
    I would worry more about the fire, the negatives in these things are so far removed from the light source I can't imagine the heat being enough to get that far down the line, however a fire is possible. But it's basically a metal box. So not much to catch on fire, it would need to be hot enough to melt the metal.

Stone's enlarger appears to be the one linked to below which uses the incandescent bulb rather than their preferred cold light head. Scroll down the image to see the head without showing the 14" condenser unit.

http://www.digoliardi.net/saltzman-30-wac.jpg

Model 30 WAC

Indeed, but in the online catalog they use Watts OR Lumen OR Candela. There's no way to determine Lumen or Candela from Watts.