Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The crutch of anonymity on this forum

Re: The crutch of anonymity on this forum

Why do I so love the cartoon....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	computers-the_farmer_in_the_dell-farm-farmer-farming-pcs-dre0205_low.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	127147

O-n-F, I have no idea and don't care really-not my problem now. No one got banned because I didn't like them. People were banned for their behavior, including a couple of people who were (and continue to be) friends of mine who just wouldn't follow the rules.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

...BTW, weren't you considering changing your username to III?...
    Yeah, but decided against it as I would probably never get to be number I in anything. I am thinking of THO (Tall Hairy One) instead.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Opinions differ on the real names vs. "handles" issue. While remaining anonymous might affect the behavior of some people, I haven't seen that to be a real issue. Plus, there is no way to conclusively prove a person's identity within the online registration process. Thus, it is entirely possible for someone to register under a seemingly conventional name, but, in fact, be someone whom we have banned under their real name. That's life in the electronic world . . . at least until we add the retina-scan module to the software. ;-)

(Shrek)

Should I re-post the BBC 2 'Grumpy Old Men' video? The level of grumpage on this forum is sometimes deafening. Any worse and we'll be a bunch of old geezers yelling at clouds and telling those damn kids to get off our lawns. I do think this drives off a lot of potential members, who read a few posts and move on without ever joining.

I stay because I have learned to ignore the grump and dig for the jewels of information scattered about the forum, plus I like the pretty pictures of rocks and trees and waterfalls and whatnot. But I don't get a lot of social belonging, fellowship, community, or whatever you want to call it, here. This has nothing to do with real names vs. handles, and everything to do with LF photographers thinking they are better than everyone else.

I don't mind some anonymity, I myself am sometimes argumentative, but by-the-by, my name IS actually Stone...

StoneNYC is my online identifier everywhere online, including my website www.stonenyc.com

My "persona" is easily traceable to my real person, I'm not here to hide with my name, I'm here to be easily findable other places by keeping things consistent. Also, my full name is SO COMMON there could be possibly 100,000 men in America with my name (I'm exaggerating but you get the idea).

What I do think is you should have to give your credit card even if you're not charged, this would ensure only ONE account could be created per parson, and banned people would stay banned, because you couldn't sign up without identifying who you are. This would also prevent spammer accounts from being a problem.

Just my take.

I agree, people who won't identify themselves are sometimes more verbose, but it's sort of 50/50.

The crutch of anonymity on this forum

On the topic, I'm with Ralph and others who have pointed out that there seems to be no correlation between behavior and the appearance of a regular name. Some who have required further investigation were registered under false names. Basically, we don't care--but we do care about the guidelines.

There are certainly some curmudgeons here, and some who seem to post in every thread. But that could be said of my ham radio club, my church, my local photography friends, my motorhome buddies, and every other group in which I participate. Part of navigating through this world is taking people as they come, and if that scares people off; well, propping up fragile egos isn't the purpose of this forum.

If a post doesn't follow the guidelines, report it. But thick skins and shoulders without chips on them would be good advice for all of us.

Rick "just sayin" Denney
    Last edited by rdenney; 24-Dec-2014 at 19:03.

Lurker

Where are some facts supporting the OP initial claim?

http://youtu.be/F7pYHN9iC9I

You can call me paranoid but I will keep some distance to my identity.

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Why do I so love the cartoon....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	computers-the_farmer_in_the_dell-farm-farmer-farming-pcs-dre0205_low.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	127147
    That really should get someone banned for LIFE! (I don't seem to be able to stop chuckling!)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I use a nickname here and nearly everywhere else on the web (all the photography-related sites I visit anyway). I don't think that has anything to do with any of my questions or answers regarding photography.