Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: technique to get the "Karsh, Hurrell" look from sharp lenses??

technique to get the "Karsh, Hurrell" look from sharp lenses??

Is there a way to get that softer look from lenses that are really sharp. I have heard of using Vaseline on the lens...
    I really like the old portrait style of Karsh and Hurrell. It seems that using something like vaseline would give to much of a "soft focus" look and that is not exactly what I have in mind. I have a 150mmSF lens for my RB67 and that look is not what I want.
    Obviously I would like to be able to use the lenses I have...Symmanar-s 180mm, Fujinon-W 300mm, Claron-G 240mm.
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Re: technique to get the "Karsh, Hurrell" look from sharp lenses??

Karsh isn't terribly soft. You could easily get a commercial ektar to do a similar look.
    Hurrell's style changed over his career, but perhaps the biggest portion of it was with the Verito.
    Sell your 150sf and get one of these. Not what you asked, but you can sell the Verito or ektar for what you bought them for if you take care of them and don't overpay.

There are all sorts of filters/techniques (Softars....) for softening portraits. If you could give an example of what you're after, that would be helpful. In addition, what about your 150SF don't you like? Too soft?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Try a piece of panty hose stretched over the lens.

Each technique gives a different look. The often repeated "smear Vaseline" technique (which I doubt was ever done by anyone with any sense) would probably give you a "smeared, blurry look."

A good soft focus lens has a sharp image, underlying some glow and unsharpness.

Obscuring the lens somewhat with gauze or paper with holes in it may give you a good affect. I haven't tried. I do know the Hollywood cinematographers used that technique sometimes, for movies.

multiplex

stradibarrius :

you might consider experimenting with the lenses you have. expose your film at different apertures
    and change where you focus ... also try obstructing your lens' view ( like goamules suggests ) it works well.

Yes that was what I wanted to do was use the lenses I have. I have heard the panty hose trick..
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

The lens is the of least concern here. You won't get images like this by obfuscating good, sharp optics. (Veronica Lake by G. Hurrell)

Keep in mind that the look of Karsh & Hurrell's work was largely due not to the lens, but the lighting, chosen plane of focus, the film's color sensitivity, a lot of *makeup work for Hurrell's subjects in particular and for both photographers, expert on-negative retouching, and manipulative printing.

*(Read up on Pancake (Panchromatic Cake) makeup, and Ortho makeup if you can find it.)

Hurrell, at least, tended not to use pancake makeup. He used lip and eye makeup, and then, and Jac says, a lot of negative retouching, as in a number of hours per negative. In one of the books about him there's a picture of Joan Crawford before and after negative retouching.

Here's a link to a typical Hollywood style portrait session: https://pleasurephotoroom.files.word...willoughby.jpg
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Hurrell, at least, tended not to use pancake makeup. He used lip and eye makeup, and then, and Jac says, a lot of negative retouching, as in a number of hours per negative. In one of the books about him there's a picture of Joan Crawford before and after negative retouching.

Here's a link to a typical Hollywood style portrait session: https://pleasurephotoroom.files.word...willoughby.jpg
    Looks like all you need is a Saltzman Studio tripod holding Ansco tailboard, with 5x7 slider, 2 spot lights, 1 bouncing off black flag as bounce card, 1 as hair hair light and 2 big dummy's to hold the backdrop. The rest is all show and no go.

Oops, I forgot 1 lady movie star dressed to kill.

Am I missing anything?
    Last edited by Tin Can; 23-Dec-2014 at 10:35. Reason: sp
    Tin Can