Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 lens for huge enlargements of furniture

Re: 11x14 lens for huge enlargements of furniture

Hi John

I have a 210mm f8 Super Angulon that will cover 11x14 very well and will mean that you can probably shoot at more like F22-f32 so you will not have any diffraction issues
    are you shooting in London ?

robin

11x14 lens for huge enlargements of furniture

A 210mm lens will only shorten the working distance. It will require about the same aperture as a 450mm lens or a 600mm lens for the same field of view and the same amount of DOF (f:90 for about 4m DOF or f:64 for 2m DOF in a space about 3m wide by 2.5m high, allowing for extra DOF given the size of the final output and close viewing distance), when shooting in this distance range. At this point, it's just a practical question of how much room is there between the camera and the set and how much space do you need for the lighting equipment. A longer lens means more working distance for lighting gear, but requires a larger studio.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    A 210mm lens will only shorten the working distance. It will require almost exactly the same aperture as a 450mm lens or a 600mm lens for the same field of view and the same amount of DOF (f:90 for about 4m DOF in a space about 3m wide by 2.5m high, allowing for extra DOF given the size of the final output and close viewing distance), when shooting in this distance range. At this point, it's just a practical question of how much room is there between the camera and the set and how much space do you need for the lighting equipment. A longer lens means more working distance for lighting gear, but requires a larger studio.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding lens usage in other threads. But doesn't a shorter lens give more DOF over a much longer lens, comparing say the 210 and a 610 at similar apertures?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding lens usage in other threads. But doesn't a shorter lens give more DOF over a much longer lens, comparing say the 210 and a 610 at similar apertures?
    At infinity or at long distances, yes, but at short distances, the differences are small. Using an 11x14" camera to photograph a room display is essentially a macro shot. The magnification ratio is about 1:8 (width of the film:width of the room), so at that magnification ratio, any lens (that covers the format, etc.) will give you about the same DOF at the same aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    At infinity or at long distances, yes, but at short distances, the differences are small. Using an 11x14" camera to photograph a room display is essentially a macro shot. The magnification ratio is about 1:8 (width of the film:width of the room), so at that magnification ratio, any lens (that covers the format, etc.) will give you about the same DOF at the same aperture.
    Thank you, I plan to do some similar imaging on 11x14 with Wide Field Kodak Ektar 250, as it's all I have that might work in this tiny space. No room for anything longer.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    DoF is the same for all focal lengths at the same magnification (final print size) and aperture.

The OP has set specifications that can't be attained. To get 10x enlargements that will pass close inspection (the traditional 10" or 16" or whatever you want) he needs 80 lp/mm in the negative. The largest aperture that will allow as much as 80 lp/mm in the negative is f/20. Its time to think harder about what's needed or to prevent viewers from approaching the final print (on Duratrans, I think) too closely.

Depth of field aside, I wouldn't go very much shorter than 450mm on 11x14 if you want the furniture to appear correctly proportioned when photographed at close distance.

For 11x14 film a "normal" lens (one whose focal length matches the diagonal of the film) will be 450mm.

A 210m lens on 11x14 will be rather wide-angle: you can expect considerable foreshortening as illustrated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    A 210m lens on 11x14 will be rather wide-angle: you can expect considerable foreshortening as illustrated above.
    Rather? 94 degrees and you say rather? Understatement is alive and well in Massachusetts.

It's not that outrageous. Half the normal focal length for an architectural interior is pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Rather? 94 degrees and you say rather? Understatement is alive and well in Massachusetts.
    My Mamiya7 has a Biogon 43mm lens that I use very often, I believe the 35mm Leica Biogon 21mm is the equivalent, if I'm not mistaken, the 11x14 equivalent would be 210mm. I don't think that's THAT wide, I think 14mm or 16mm on a 35mm is wide, which I think is similar to a 150mm on 11x14? Now that's wide!!

I'm borrowing an 11x14 camera and I have both those FL's so I'm excited to try them out