Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: affordable tripod for my 4x5

WTB: affordable tripod for my 4x5

Hey guys, I've had my wista vx for a little over a month now. I've had a super cheap slik 500DX that I used for my other cameras like my bronica and bolex, and have had a difficult time getting steady images with long exposures. I posted about it a while ago, but since I've taken more pics since then, you guys can check out this link for reference, the image links are in the comments:

http://www.reddit.com/r/analog/comme..._mic/?sort=top

What's a good tripod to buy to ensure sharpness? I'm trying to spend as little as possible without sacrificing necessary quality, I'd put my ceiling at around $300. Do most tripods ideal for LF not come with a head? If that's the case, what would be a solid and affordable head?

Also, just to make sure, the bellows catching wind and shaking up the image is a problem completely separate from the tripod, correct? I suppose I'll just have to do a double team of a better tripod and an umbrella to shield the camera from wind.

Thanks for everything, this forum is a goldmine of a resource.

Re: WTB: affordable tripod for my 4x5

I used to have an Induro tripod, it was the heavier aluminum version, but at least it was steady.
    They are priced well and offer a decent warranty.
    Build quality has improved, as well.

You can buy a used Marchioni or Leitz Tiltall for less than $100.00 and it comes with a head. I own one.

Used Gitzo aluminum tripods are nice. Add a head of your choice.

A used Berlebach tripod is nice if you like wood. If you get one with the center ball you may not even want a head.

looking around there were some more expensive ones over 300 without a head, but then I saw this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induro-AKP0-...item259bdbed7e
    is that sufficient for long exposures on windy (not hurricane wind or anything, but a fair breeze) days?

looking at marchionis, it seems many of them are branded as tiltall, were the two companies associated? Is marchioni a line of tiltalls?

Quote Originally Posted by jzakko View Post
    looking at marchionis, it seems many of them are branded as tiltall, were the two companies associated? Is marchioni a line of tiltalls?
    From my understanding the Marchionis brothers originally designed and made the Tiltall and sold it under their name. Later they sold the rights to Leitz. Both were very well made.

Now a Chinese firm owns the name and the quality standards are not the best.

do you know where this one would fall in quality?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271460355610...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My main tripod is a wooden Ries J100 with J250 double tilt head. Come to think of it, I did pay $250.00 plus shipping for mine used off Ebay but I got a pretty nice deal.

yeah, i'd love a ries, but the only one on ebay currently is brand new with a manfrotto head and everything, bit out of my price range

Quote Originally Posted by jzakko View Post
    do you know where this one would fall in quality?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271460355610...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    It's a Marchioni. Some say that they were the best of the Tiltalls. I own a Leitz Tiltall and I heard that the Marchioni was a little bit better quality. I would look for either one and let price and condition be your guide.