Thread: 10x8 changing bag

10x8 changing bag

I've *just* about managed to handle 10x8 film, loading DDS' etc in my existing 5x4 bags (including the Harrison tent), but having just acquired a 3005 expert tank I need something larger. Anyone know of a good source (on-line) for such bags? I want to have enough room to empty DDS' and load the tank without too many contortions. My 'dark' room isn't completely light-tight - ok for B&W printing but not handling film.

10x8 changing bag

I picked up an extra-large (36"x43") changing bag from Adorama (item BLCBXL) for $35; it works fine for loading and uloading 8x10 holders and loading film into a Unicolor drum. Not quite as convenient as a Harrison changing tent I'm sure, but much less expensive and easy enough for me.

10x8 changing bag

You sure you want to go changing bag for this? The 3005 being as large as it is, I can't imagine being able to wrestle with three film holders and the drum comfortably (or evenly remotely so). I would fear dust or crinkling of the film.

Octogenarian

10x8 changing bag

Mark,

It probably would be easier, and less expensive, to make your darkroom completely light tight. Or, you could wait until the dark of night to work in it with film. 8x10 film requires a lot of elbow room. The larger 8x10 Harrison tent would do the job, however, it is a huge sized contraption that takes up a lot of space to use and store it when not in use. It is also relatively expensive.

10x8 changing bag

Mark,

The "Fuji fdb12" is the biggest that I've ever come across. You can get abit of info. about them on the net there's a few photos kicking around as well. I managed to pick up one of these monsters for 40 Euros and Iwould say that they are absolutely fine for everything except to carry in the field.

10x8 changing bag

Eugene,
    as I live in London, night-time is never dark. I also live in an older house, so light tends to creep in through many cracks and holes in the spare bedroom I use.

Mark.

Octogenarian

10x8 changing bag

Mark,

Look for a closet in the house that you can make light tight and use explicitly for loading, and un-loading film into holders, as well as loading film into the 3005 tank. I, personally, have done that dozens of times, while travelling, where I didn't have a darkroom available. Harrison also makes a very large changing bag (non-tent type ). Ask Robert White about it.

10x8 changing bag

Mark,

Find an old changing bag used to change the spools on Panavision movie cameras---huge!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White