Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4x5 Scanning

David Schaller

Re: 4x5 Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by daisydaisy View Post
    I've never used any staining developers, opting instead for HC-110 as a standard soup. My workflow is analog-to-digital; my negatives are always scanned. With this in mind, is a staining developer worth trying?

Thanks,

Large format scanning services
    I'm not sure what you are asking, or if there is a problem you are trying to solve. Many of us use staining developers for various reasons, and have no problem scanning the negatives. I use Pyrocat HD, and scan on an Epson 4990, for both roll films and sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by andred2809 View Post
    Are there any sites or even this forum where I can download some hi-rez files from flatbed scans to look at myself in PS? or any kind 4x5 shooters that would let me have a look at some of there raw files?
    If you have any doubt you can see this: https://petapixel.com/2017/05/01/160...s-500-scanner/

For 4x5" the V850 resolves even more than the Hassy. For 8x10 the V850 is really poweful, see here the bolts at the top of the bell, compare the crop size. https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/

The V850 (and all the flatbeds) has more stray light than drums, drums can see better very deep densities that are not normally present in color negative of BW, but can be there sometimes with slides.

With the V850 use Multi-Exposure feature (of Silverfast) in you have very, very deep shadows in slides, but in that arena is where drums and the hassy excels, at very high cost.

One think I find is that V850 image is less cooked by the scanner/drivers than with Pro scanners, but as that article (petapixel) mentions it can be solved with some clicks with Photoshop, some sharpening and an slight touch in the curves solves it.

IMHO V850 is not as good for 35mm film, it is acceptable for most shots, but a very sharp (unusual) shot may deliver more with other gear. A powerful combination is having a 35mm only dedicated roll film scanner like the Plustek, and a V850 for MF and LF. With that gear you only may need a drum service for Velvia very deep shadows if that it is important.

Color negative film it is easy to scan because in the digital minilabs era most common negative color films were re-engineered to have overlapping clouds to perform well in Frontier minilabs and the like, while Velvia retains smaller clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by daisydaisy View Post
    I've never used any staining developers, opting instead for HC-110 as a standard soup. My workflow is analog-to-digital; my negatives are always scanned. With this in mind, is a staining developer worth trying?

Thanks,

Large format scanning services

IMHO the stain delivers an easier to scan negative, but this should be significative in 35mm (or even MF), way less with LF.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 17-Dec-2017 at 12:41.