Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B&h film promo

Re: B&h film promo

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've never had bad, grumpy or rude service from anybody at B&H, and besides being a long-time customer, I am also a supplier.
    Their kindness, helpfulness and attention to detail are present in both facets of my relationship with them.
    It's interesting to hear this side of the story, as I've heard what it's like to be a supplier for other large companies, and have been told it's a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Used to buy a lot from Freestyle but when B&H improved shipping rates to Canada etc., well they now get all my business. Freestyle simply won't budge on shipping rates to Canada and it's costing them business as I know many won't shop there because of the high shipping fees.

Been a very long time since I set foot in the brick and mortar and I really should visit next time I'm in NYC.
    Yes, visit the place, it is amazing! If you want, I'll go along as a guide, LOL. Yes, the store has a strong Jewish identity, but the workers are now from a broader range of cultural backgrounds. New York, this city of eight million, is home to the most diverse collection of ethnic groups of any city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    He sounds pretty smug there at the beginning. Still, I prefer freestyle.
    For LF film BHPhoto has cheaper prices than freestyle

Good to see them advertising film, not sure how old this video is but it has to be at least a year old since Kodak stopped making their "Chromogenic" C-41 film last year.

My only complaint about the video is that they only listed format sizes that they personally sell, even though you can still get for example TMY-2, Acros100, Velvia50 all in 8x10 sheets, because they don't sell them they made it sound like they didn't exist same with 4x5 Velvia50, it just bugs me when they dismiss it as if it's not made, it's disinformation.

That said its a great source and good prices and free shipping for anything over $50 and I mean, who spends under $50 ever on film?

Anyway when I was there last week, the film fridge was completely stocked, not at all empty, however it had been moved and was in a smaller area, so maybe they had let it run down in order to make the move less difficult and then when they re-organized the area, they restocked it properly?

It certainly is a much slower area than the rest of the store, and the sales guy told me that it's the lowest profit-making area of the store. And that the really only keep it out of kindness (or some wording like that).

I also mentioned that I was able to get a supply of Velvia50 direct from Japan of 4x5 and 8x10 and that I would prefer to get it from them. I joked with the guy that they should open a satellite store in Japan and that way they could ship themselves Velvia50 sheet film to stock in the US. He did ask me what my prices were for getting the film to America, and I told him basically it was on par with what it cost to buy from him but my cost included the shipping from Japan, so that they might be able to get it much cheaper in a pallet. He kind of pondered it but ultimately I think he dismissed it in his mind.

Anyway good to see that they are still promoting film.

I just got back from B&H with film, etc. The 4x5 film (25 sheet box) was $10 cheaper at B&H than Freestyle. And if you spend over $100 (ain't hard to do) you get free parking for an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    I just got back from B&H with film, etc. The 4x5 film (25 sheet box) was $10 cheaper at B&H than Freestyle. And if you spend over $100 (ain't hard to do) you get free parking for an hour or so.
    $200 spent gets you 2 hours

That's what I thought, parking in Manhattan is being more and more affordable these days.

Renato

I make the pilgrimage from Iowa to B&H every year or two. I remember the pre-digital days, the overhead trolley system, all film cameras and studio stuff, lots of used stuff upstairs. I order online never had a problem that was not resolved. I also have had great luck with Freestyle, they will ship chemistry that B&H can't or won't. And of course my favorite local shops help me when I need 10 L not 100L of RA-4 developer and Blix. LPD, UFG.

My Darkroom is my favorite place, I shoot film because I love the entire "Process"! (Pun intended)

I've always liked B and H.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

One of the best stores on the planet. Bostick & Sullivan too.

Thomas