Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

Re: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    A bag bellows is not required for lenses down to 150mm, maybe shorter, on the 8x10 Century, and it is probably the lightest one mentioned so far.
    Okay, so I could use a 110 SSXL with a recessed board on the Century. Good to know!!

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Priority wise, I am guessing: 1) Weight, 2) Cost, 3) Rigidity, and 4) Movement. Why? Because that's my list there :-)

Anyway, if you nail down the weight at Chamonix-ish, then there is nothing new that cost less than the "Polish Specials" that I can find. So $1800-$2000 is the minimum you will pay for that weight (new camera).
    Yeah, that's sort of what I've been figuring too. But I'm still searching for options.

This Wehman may still be available ... http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Camera-Extras

The Wehman looks very interesting but how wide a lens can be used before the bed gets in the way of the image?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    The Wehman looks very interesting but how wide a lens can be used before the bed gets in the way of the image?
    Here's what the Wehman camera website says:

2. What is the shortest W.A. that the camera will accommodate? The 110 Schneider XL. It, along with most of the 120 SW type lenses will cover when stopped down, and their field of view will not interfere with the camera body in it's normal squared up position.

http://www.wehmancamera.com/camera.html

If you look at the Wehman page, you will see that you can remove the front bed piece altogether, so it won't get in the way with shorter lenses.

Excellent... thank you djdister.

Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I have a bad back so I cart my Wehman around in a wheeled cordura tool bag. With the clamshell design of the Wehman I don't need any padding around it to protect the camera or ground glass. I pull the camera out of the bag by the strap and hold it up to my Ries head which I have tilted so I can easily see to thread the screw into it. It's a breeze. I can understand your difficulty with the heavy Toyo you have.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Here's what the Wehman camera website says:

2. What is the shortest W.A. that the camera will accommodate? The 110 Schneider XL. It, along with most of the 120 SW type lenses will cover when stopped down, and their field of view will not interfere with the camera body in it's normal squared up position.

http://www.wehmancamera.com/camera.html

If you look at the Wehman page, you will see that you can remove the front bed piece altogether, so it won't get in the way with shorter lenses.
    The wehman bellows are very stiff and the bellows on mine would vignette when using my 165mm if I used any rise at all. The standards also would flex out of alignment when compressing the bellows any further than this.

I used a Century for a while and had no problems using a 120mm with no bag bellows. Just FYI. It was, however, a pain to set up, but it was doable. But that's a really short lens.

I don't know what it weighs but I have a Wista (Tachihara) now and it's great, other than needing a new knob/gear that I can't seem to source. Going to get SKGrimes to make one, maybe after tax season.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bender 8x10. Less than 6 lbs. and $430 brand new! http://www.jaybender.com/BPH/8x10.htm