Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

Re: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

I don't see any prices for Shen Hao 8x10 cameras. I'm guessing they're less costly than the Chamonix equivalent but do they cost less than the Svedovski? The Svedovski looks nice for the price but I'll probably miss rear swing.

Can't believe no one's mentioned the Wehman. A couple of Wehman 8x10 cameras have been for sale in this forum in the past 6 months or so -- one sold, the other I don't think so.

Drew Wiley

My original Phillips doesn't have rear swing, and that makes it even more rigid and fast to set up than the Phillips II, and only rarely an inconvenience for those
    subjects I generally use 8x10 for. When I need a full-featured architectural camera I switch to my 4x5 Sinar anyway.

Scott Davis

I'd suggest a Canham 8x10 Woodfield (fits pretty much all your requirements) except on price. A NEW Canham 8x10 is going to run north of $3500. You might get lucky and find a used one for under $2500. They have their fans and their detractors (the controls are not quite as intuitive as a Deardorff, but you can get used to that). The upside is that A: a Canham 8x10 Woodfield will weigh in at a scoch under 10#, and B: Keith Canham's customer service is second-to-none. That's why I have three of them (5x7, 5x12 and 14x17).

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    What about that new $1800 8x10 offering from Eastern Europe. Has anyone had their hands on one? That's more than I can spend at the moment even if I sell the Toyo but maybe I can find a way if it's a good candidate.

The Century Universal might work... I'll investigate it.

I edited my original post.
    Sorry no interchangeable bellows on the Century or the Nagaoka. Maybe the Gowland?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Oh yeah, I know the Century doesn't have interchangeable bellows. But it may be all I can afford.

Did Gowland make an 8x10 field camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Oh yeah, I know the Century doesn't have interchangeable bellows. But it may be all I can afford.

Did Gowland make an 8x10 field camera?
    Peter made a monorail that's lighter than most field cameras.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Gowland? Uncommon, and light weight for sure, but hardly stable.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Sorry no interchangeable bellows on the Century or the Nagaoka. Maybe the Gowland?
    A bag bellows is not required for lenses down to 150mm, maybe shorter, on the 8x10 Century, and it is probably the lightest one mentioned so far.

Priority wise, I am guessing: 1) Weight, 2) Cost, 3) Rigidity, and 4) Movement. Why? Because that's my list there :-)

Anyway, if you nail down the weight at Chamonix-ish, then there is nothing new that cost less than the "Polish Specials" that I can find. So $1800-$2000 is the minimum you will pay for that weight (new camera).