Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

Re: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I agree the 810G is a fantastic camera. Your method seems practicable to me. However, my strength is leaving me and me left arm is often extremely weak... sometimes I can't lift it high enough to flip a light switch. So I need a solution that's very easy.
    Yes of course. I see what you mean. But as I say, I've been pondering on this recently.

There actually is quite a lot of difference between 4x5 and 5x7, or 5x8. It varies as the area, versus the length or width.

I like the 4x5 aspect ratio, so I would compare 4x5 versus 5x6.25. In area, that's 20 inXin versus 31.25 inXin, a 56% increase in area. That's substantial.

If one likes the 5x8 aspect ratio, then one compares 3.125x5 vs. 5x8. In area, it's 15.625 inXin versus 40 inXin, which is a 256% increase in area.

An affordable light weight 8x10 field camera, look at 4x5, fits perfectly. Why compromise with a dodgy flimsy 8x10 when any half decent 4x5 will do a fantastic job in the circumstances.

A nice 4x5 set up and maybe some Adox CMS II 20? If the film fits your work process (isn't too finicky to switch over) then this could actually fit your needs for large printing but also maintaining a lightweight camera set up.

Given the camera weight and your ambulatory concerns, why 8x10? Why wouldn't 4x5 be a good alternative?

Drew Wiley

I certainly admire your determination given certain physical limitations, but maybe there is some way to mount a solid articulating arm to the back of a van or
    something, to support the weight of a bigger camera, yet still allow you to easily aim it?

I'm on the road, don't have my notes, but as best I recall, the following cameras have been mentioned:
    -Chamonix
    -Ritter
    -Shen Hao
    -Gowland
    -Bender
    -Century Universal

If your max weight is 12lb (IIRC),
    then I will add the following:
    -EKC view 1, 2, or 2D (without the base rail, the 2D is about 10lb); if you are working out of your car, I presume you can step back to the car for accessories....
    -Korona
    -Kodak Master View
    -any one of several vintage Rochester Optical models (weight 5-8lbs, typically 24" bellows extension).

The vintage cameras often can be found for $200-500, depending on condition.

Most of these field cameras have much fewer movements than studio cameras, but they all at least have front rise/fall and rear tilt and usually swing. These are usually adequate for landscape work. In addition, I have seen lens boards that have front tilt adjustments and mini-bellows.

If you go with a korona 8x10 maybe you can do this front standard conversion

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ard-conversion