Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

I've been trying to decide whether or not to shoot 8x10. I have some ambulatory issues so I'll only be shooting a few yards from my vehicle. I'll probably use a cart with large wheels or may try to find an affordable motorized electric trike with a small pull-behind cart.

I currently have a Toyo 810G which is a fantastic camera but completely impractical for me outside of a studio situation with it permanently on a tripod and dolly. I'd like to keep the Toyo for still life images but finances won't allow it so I'll surely have to sell it to fund purchase of a much lighter weight camera.

I really like my Chamonix 45N-1 (focus screen replaced) and would love the 8x10 version. However, funds are extremely tight so that's not financially practical for me.

Finally to the question: What affordable alternatives are there to the latest Chamonix 8x10 that don't lose movements nor decrease rigidity nor gain weight?

EDIT: I should have been more thorough. I want interchangeable bellows so I can use a bag bellows and also lenses up to 600mm focused to 20 feet or so. I realize this makes it even more difficult.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 18-Dec-2014 at 11:08.

Re: Recommendations For Affordable Lightweight 8x10 Field Camera

I feel your pain but that's a pretty tall order!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Their aren't. I suggest reading the other threads on lightweight 8x10's but there's no such thing as good, light, cheap, and rigid.

The 8x10 I built does everything from 90mm to 800mm w/o bag bellows. Yeah, I can't do much rise with the 90mm but I use my 4x5 when in need.
    What lenses to you need a bag bellows for?

Take a look at a Gowland monorail, or a Century Universal, or a Nagaoka.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

What about that new $1800 8x10 offering from Eastern Europe. Has anyone had their hands on one? That's more than I can spend at the moment even if I sell the Toyo but maybe I can find a way if it's a good candidate.

The Century Universal might work... I'll investigate it.

I edited my original post.

You ain't gonna find one at any price that's all that much lighter. You might look at the RITTER 6.4#, then figure how to dismantle your 810G so you can use it in the field (by the car).
    Last edited by Bill_1856; 18-Dec-2014 at 11:23. Reason: added data
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I can dismantle the 810G. It's just very heavy and clumsy outside a studio setting. I'm much better off mounting a field camera to a tripod then unfolding it. The 810G weighs approximately 22 pounds including rail and tripod block. I realize that doesn't seem like a lot of weight but as clumsy as I've become plus some weakness in my left arm it's better that I go the lightweight field camera route.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I can dismantle the 810G. It's just very heavy and clumsy outside a studio setting. I'm much better off mounting a field camera to a tripod then unfolding it. The 810G weighs approximately 22 pounds including rail and tripod block. I realize that doesn't seem like a lot of weight but as clumsy as I've become plus some weakness in my left arm it's better that I go the lightweight field camera route.
    Mein Gott -- I had no idea that it was THAT heavy!
    I can sympathize with the "old and feeble" mantra -- nearly 80 and a heart bypass and stroke. Giving up the Kodak 5x7 2D soon.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Yeah, the Toyo G, GX, Robos, etc. are fabulously sturdy and versatile but heavy monsters for certain.

Take a look at Shen Hao...

RR