Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are those bolts called for tripods etc that have threads on end, then no threads

What are those bolts called for tripods etc that have threads on end, then no threads

Trying to search for the technical name for those bolts/knobs with the threads on end, then a thinner shaft section with no threads. Like the kind on tripods. Would anything like that be available in a hardware store. (I think there is a guy on here who is a hardware store clerk who knows a lot?)

It looks like this, only I would like a longer bolt with about 1.5" of extension.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knob.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	126522

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Re: What are those bolts called for tripods etc that have threads on end, then no thr

Captive?

Re: What are those bolts called for tripods etc that have threads on end, then no thr

Just about to say what Jonathan did.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screw...7rexwki3nnn1ng

Are you talking about carriage bolts? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carriage_bolt

I don't think they make them that short though.

Thanks, I'll search for captive bolt or knob. I need them for a bi-post studio stand to fasten the camera to the platform.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

You can find a full threaded bolt that fits your need, chuck into a drill, and file the shaft to meet your needs. I've done that a few times.

I don't think I've ever encountered them ready-made other than as replacement parts from tripod companies. Your friendly neighborhood machine shop should be able to turn the threads off a screw to a shoulder just under the root diameter for clearance for not too much money.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

This is from my Deardorff BiPost. I don't have any spares.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5873.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	126525
    Tin Can

It may not be quite as good as the original equipment, but I bought a couple of these from Amazon because they were so cheap - a 3/8" x 16 threaded stud with handle - $3.84 each! Just needed to add a thick washer and I was back in business. http://amzn.com/B00A9N567U

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61D7wAM+wEL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	126529

Captive bolt with retainer?
    Retainer could be a circlip.

The "thumb-screw" type cross-hatch texture is called "knurled". It's a machining / lathe technique.

If you're looking for the type that screw in, and then the other nut adds force to take up the slack you're looking for a lock nut. Or knurled lock nut.