Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ULF no head tripod method

Re: ULF no head tripod method

Guilherme, you don't need a video bowl; that only helps me with levelling (it gives me about 10˚).
    If the stud screw atop your tripod is a standard 3/8", you can fasten a QR clamp there, and you'll be set. Look at the second picture I uploaded.
    Maybe you'll be even luckier, and your tripod will permit you to remove the centre column AND keep the base on the top with stud screw.
    Then the tripod will be a bit lighter, but won't be any less strong.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

ULF no head tripod method

Ari, my camera has a 24x24" base, I feel a QR plate is too little surface. I could be wrong.
    On my tripod, if I remove the center column I have a large center hole and three additional holes. It will be easy to attach a plywood platform and have a center long screw to hold the camera in place.

Understood, Guilhereme.
    I was trying to think of a way to put on/remove the camera from the tripod quickly, and without too much fuss.
    It sounds like you have arrived at an answer. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Understood, Guilhereme.
    I was trying to think of a way to put on/remove the camera from the tripod quickly, and without too much fuss.
    It sounds like you have arrived at an answer. Good luck!
    I agree, no fuss would be great, but I have started to believe it is impossible. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    Could someone educate me in how to use a very large and heavy camera on a tripod without head?

I was planning on using a hex plate manfrotto head with this camera, but I came to the conclusion that it will be too heavy for this head. A friend told me to try headless.

The camera is a field design with plenty of movements.

Tks!
    Guilherme,

The pictured surveyor's tripod provides sturdy support and I use one under my 8/10 also. The rope mentioned, chain or tripod dolly will keep legs set. Surveyor's tripod feet are usually anchored in the ground when outdoors. Set-up is quick with a bullseye level on the tripod's top plate. A large adapter plate accommodates the larger tripod screw and smaller camera thread, aluminum is handy.

Many options are available and all work. This options is inexpensive, sturdy and readily available.

Best,

Steve

I read somewherelse that I should always keep one leg of the tripod towards the back of the camera and move it from side to side to level the camera, I tried that and it works.
    Are there any other tips involving a headless tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    I read somewherelse that I should always keep one leg of the tripod towards the back of the camera and move it from side to side to level the camera, I tried that and it works.
    Are there any other tips involving a headless tripod?
    That's good to know.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I have a LARGE quick release system that's designed for holding $100k + worth of professional cinema gear for sale currently. It ain't cheap, but its rock solid.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=quick+release

Daniel Beat me to it. You want a quick release like he's selling. They're made for cinema cameras, which regularly weigh 70-100lbs and cost as much as a house. If we can trust that job to that bit of equipment, it will hold your camera rock solid.
    -Chris