Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maxwell Screen vs. Shen Hao Ground Glass

Alan Brock

Maxwell Screen vs. Shen Hao Ground Glass

About three months ago, I purchased the Maxwell Hi-Lux Extra Brilliant Matte Screen. I had become frustrated with my Shen Hao ground glass; even purchasing a fresnel lens for that didn't get it bright enough in the corners for the locations I shoot. After speaking with Bill Maxwell, I decided to order their brightest screen. Even though it was pretty expensive (around $515 shipped), I think it is money well spent as I was having too many cases of missed focus. After using it for a bit now in some very dark areas (the Subway and Narrows in Zion), I can tell you that this screen is as good as advertised. It's probably the best money I've spent in LF. The image is SO bright all the way to the corners, even when I stop down to check focus. I did some tests in controlled lighting (looking through the camera at a picture in my basement) to show the difference the screen makes in case anyone was thinking about purchasing it. I tested the Shen Hao gg, the Shen Hao gg w/a fresnel lens, and finally the Maxwell Screen. If you're interested in seeing more, feel free to check out my blog at http://www.alanbrockimages.com/blog/...g-is-believing where I go over installation and discuss it more in-depth.

Re: Maxwell Screen vs. Shen Hao Ground Glass

Nice comparison!!

I've never used a Mexwell screen but I did have a Beattie Intenscreen on a Hasselblad 500/cm. It made a world of difference.

Bright screens are not cheap but as your example shows, they can be well worth the money.

Thanks for sharing!

That's an awesome looking screen but for over $500 it ought to be.

If it's worth it to you, great, but given the relative prices and the differences I see here I'd probably go with the fresnel. I'm used to (well, more or less, with some cussing) the plain GG in my old Tech III anyway. It looks like the fresnel provides a bigger jump up from the plain one, then a smaller but still quite significant jump for the Maxwell. It's really impressive but still - wow, that's an expensive screen.

I have Maxwell screens for my 3 LF as well as Rolleiflex TLR's. They are expensive but it is only a one time expense that brings you years and years of pleasure unlike the wine and women I otherwise would have squandered the money on

The way I justified the expense of a Maxwell screen is to buy a Chamonix 045-F1 which is known to have focus issues, so it was cheaper, then had the screen replaced with a Maxwell installed by the technician Maxwell recommended.

Bill Maxwell manufactures an outstanding GG product. His ground glass is quite expensive as mentioned above, but the relative brightness is worth every dollar you will part with !

I like the comparison in the first post and can say it is certainly parallel with my own experience of old glass vs new. My camera is a Master Technika and replacing the glass is very easy if you follow the correct procedure with care. Maxwell supplies the necessary parts.

Bill is a super nice guy - very good with giving advice and explaining various options - and quite talkative. So call when you're not in a big rush.

I recall having had some difficulty contacting him as he did not have an official website. This is the information I have.
    Maxwell Precision Optics
    Work: 770-939-6644
    Work: 770-934-0431
    E-Mail: MaxwellPrecisionOptics@yahoo.com
    Address: P.O. 33146, Decatur GA 30033-0146
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    The way I justified the expense of a Maxwell screen is to buy a Chamonix 045-F1 which is known to have focus issues, so it was cheaper, then had the screen replaced with a Maxwell installed by the technician Maxwell recommended.
    In what way is the 045-F1 "known to have focus issues"?

That looks like a serious improvement. Wow. $500 ain't cheap but it looks worth it to me. I'm just too afraid to mess with swapping a ground glass. But again, wow. Very cool.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    In what way is the 045-F1 "known to have focus issues"?
    Probably meant the N1, which has been discussed in the past. Google it.

David