Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Re: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Why is it that guys with long hair and a foreign accent do so well?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Drew Wiley

People in the art world lying????? Gosh, some of you guys are either naive or haven't been around the block yet (or maybe I'm just showing my age). If you compiled a list of all the ostentatious art scams of the past century you'd probably have a list of names as fat as a phone book. In this case I suspect he's just trying to drum up hype so he can sell duplicates at 5% of that price, which would still be an obscene sum. But that is an old trick, and based on the testimony of
    certain people who have worked for him, kinda his mode of operation. It does take a lot of overhead to properly mount and display big prints, and he does have
    a right to make a living. But the mere fact that big things are not really archivable and are inevitably going to be subject to an awful lot of UV makes them inherently dubious in terms of long-term value. But the same could be said for big work by photographers who are actually respected by someone other than
    Aunt Maude in Peoria, who just won the lottery and wants something that goes well next to her black velvet Elvis rug.

There is corruption in the serious international art market where auctions are public as well, so any time a sale far exceeds expectations, it's fair to ask why.

Not naive, just a different world than that of professional occupations, I guess. In my world you don't need to worry about blatant dishonesty...the greater danger lies with blatant incompetence. Liars go away quickly and cause no damage. Idiots, however, never go away.

So it's a relevant question then, eh? Fair enough, I stand corrected!
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

To those that think true art something special that the mass cannot appreciate. That only connoisseurs, the cognescenti, academics and acolytes can appreciate true art. I disagree. Its not till the late 20th century that art in its traditional forms moves from the public sphere to the academy. Lik is clearly brilliant, and the images he creates seem to most people new and different and special. He uses his creative vision and art to craft those images, and many many people are moved. My guess is his work will stand the test of time.

And remember, envy is one of the seven deadly sins. Or is that gluttony...

Drew Wiley

Some people got it, some don't. Peter Lik don't got none. So what if he has money? So do drug dealers and sports jocks and rappers. Big deal. Most rich people I've
    known (and I've known a lot of em) aren't happy at all. Why should we envy them. I wouldn't even accept someone like Lik that as my own photo student. And I'm perfectly serious. My, my, my .... Back to culinary analogies.... You're never going to learn to be a gourmet chef if you study at the Burger King or Domino's Pizza
    academy. There seems to be a serious gap here in role models. Have some of you ever even seen well made color prints? I seriously doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Why would anyone be jealous of him?? You can get rich by setting up a chain of greasy pizza franchises. But is that the life you want. Like I said, this guy has never lived. He has never seen beauty. He doesn't understand it. The world is just a commodity to him, a piece of meat or real estate. Might as well sit on his butt indoors and draw on the computer to begin with. It couldn't come out all that much more fake. Are all you guys so damn shallow that you can only evaluate your life or visual work on a monetary basis? There are all kinds of ways to make money. Rob a bank. Why destroy what you really like by whoring it out to the lowest common denominator of taste? Get rich owning a McDonald's franchise instead, then you'll have plenty of cash leftover for large-format film (though you'll probably be too obese to fit thru the darkroom door after awhile). What joy is there is making something that stinks? I don't care how many "billions" he's served. It's still just visual junk food. Ridiculously overprice greasy Big Macs, that's all. Anyone who has ever eaten a real steak knows the difference.
    So, "this guy has never lived." Drew, you constantly amaze me with your pronouncements, and you hit the motherlode with this post.

Mr Wiley
    Wow, as a proud Aussie, as a thinking, feeling open minded person, just wow.

What is your major malfunction?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

If it's fake, I'm curious to know more about the history of this kind of thing. It probably has a name. The only other case (alleged) that I've heard of was a relatively unknown Aussie painter who claimed out of the blue to have made a $5 million sale. This raised much more skepticism than the Lik sale; presumably because she didn't even have the kind of populist renown of a Lik or a Kinkaide.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    What is your major malfunction?
    Researchers speculate that Drew is an advanced artificial intelligence algorithm that can spontaneously generate jeremiads on any topic.
    It seems to be functioning perfectly.