Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

And I seriously doubt he deserves any of the attention.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...12-125khz.html

Re: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

The hustle, I wonder how his antecedents arrived on the continent...
    Tin Can

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

His target audience would probably pay even more for his work if he put a big watermark on it...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Drew Wiley

Perhaps both his ancestors and him have done well because that continent is inhabited primarily by reptiles and marsupials, neither of which is particularly smart. The crowd that visits Vegas doesn't seem to be very smart either; or at least, it's a dependable statistical fact that it's an economy deliberately engineered to remove a lot more from your wallet that it gives in return. I was teasing a couple of his sales guys once, and told them I'd agree to the alleged fifty grand price of a particular print on only certain conditions. First, they pay me the fifty grand in advance just for the pain and suffering of having to look at the abomination in the first place; second, even though I agree to take possession of it, I also be allowed to place drywall and paint over it, so I never have to actually look at it again. Of course, if I were an actual potential purchaser, they would have happily sold me that fifty grand piece for a tenth the sticker amount. But these guys were real pros, so took it all in good humor, and replied that at least the work got a reaction out of me (implying that true art can be revolting
    as well as beautiful - but this piece was just plain corny and atrociously colored, just like the colorized version of that Fauxtoshopped slot canyon shot we're talking about, with its phony foggy light shaft).

I showed my kids his pictures. They like them. But they don't have the money to buy.

They're better pictures than I could take, so I don't have anything bad to say about them.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I'll not comment other than to state... he's extremely successful and we're not.... I guess he was better at knowing what sells... and was far better at marketing. Are we jealous??

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'll not comment other than to state... he's extremely successful and we're not.... I guess he was better at knowing what sells... and was far better at marketing. Are we jealous??
    Jealous, hecky no! I am prepared to sell one of my works for the low, low price of $6.25M... (verified sales only please!)

LOL!! Yeah, me too!! I'm just tired of reading all the complaints about someone who made a ton of money because he understood what people want... delivered precisely that... and marketed so that he became rich and famous. It just sounds like jealousy to me. Much (or all) of his work may have been crap... but it made him wealthy. 'Nuff said...

Well. most of us (Drew excepted) agree that the work is decorative. The problem is that he is pricing decoration as if it was art.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Well. most of us (Drew excepted) agree that the work is decorative. The problem is that he is pricing decoration as if it was art.
    So what... he got the money for it. He's filthy rich... we're not. More power to him. This still sounds like jealousy to me. I don't think there's anyone on this forum who wouldn't do the same for millions of dollars since it's not harming anyone other than separating the ignorant wealthy from their (often) ill-gotten gains.