Thread: efke 8x10 film 400 asa

efke 8x10 film 400 asa

Have been trying to track down a supplier for the Efke 8x10 400 asa film. I tried J & C photo but they are out of stock at the moment. Are there other companies that supply this film to Canadian customers??
    Thanks Gerry

efke 8x10 film 400 asa

I don't think there is an Efke 400 speed film--just 25, 50 and 100.

The one you probably are looking for is FortePan 400, which is "equivalent" to J&C Classic 400, fotoimpex ClassicPan 400, and Freestyle Arista.EDU 400.

I put "equivalent" in quotes, because I've compared Classic 400 and Arista.EDU 400 and they seem to be films of the same family, but noticably different in speed. I asked John at J&C about this, and he wrote that these films are all cut from the same master rolls, but one downside of the new formulations of Forte's 200 and 400 speed films, is that they are more subject to degradation in storage than the older versions, so two different batches might test at the same speed at the factory, but under different storage conditions there could be some significant variation. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to accept, but it's good to know about, so that one can just purchase and store one's film accordingly.

efke 8x10 film 400 asa

As a viable alternative, why not see if you can get your hands on Kodak T Max 400 in 8x10? At least it appears to be consistent from one emulsion to the next as Kodak now has a new expensive coating machine in operation.

Clearly, the extra speed comes in real handy as the case with the Classic 400 and it smokes in Pyrocat HD.

Good Shooting!

efke 8x10 film 400 asa

J&C sells 400TMax at a reasonable price. (A little more than B&H, maybe 10 bucks or so, but still less than Calumet.) Please buy it from him. Anything we can do to support him will contribute to the cause of keeping film around that much longer.

I feel about 400TMax the same way I feel about Azo. I just cannot imagine why one would use anything else. In any developer.

Once I tried it I never went back. I sold the unopened box of Efke film I had and gave away what was left of the opened box.

efke 8x10 film 400 asa

Check with Serena at Beau Photo in Vancouver, BC. I buy efke 25, 4x5 and 8x10 from them. You can get her email from their website.

efke 8x10 film 400 asa

I've seen EFKE 400 advertised in more than one place, so I think it does exist. It might not be distributed in North America, though. It's possible that it's some other 400 rebranded, and there may be agreements about not distrbuting in certain markets. Here in Paris I was able to buy a Bergger 400, but back home in Vancouver no-one seems to know of it.