Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: $6.5 Million for a Peter Lik Photograph

Re: $6.5 Million for a Peter Lik

I'm with Kirk Gittings on this one. Compare this "sale" price to prices of photographs sold at auction--photographs by widely recognized artists. Smells. Smells wrong.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    And maybe he has been raising the perceived value of "photographic art". With "sales" like this it isn't just painters and sculptors that can pull down big bucks. In the long run it may let everyone raise their prices as well. Providing the public likes their images enough to pay those bucks!

Have you visited a Lik gallery? The one that we visited in Vegas was certainly busy! And seeing one of his prints in the background of a lot of Pawn Stars episodes doesn't hurt either!

I agree... the press coverage from this for "perceived" value of a photograph is good for anyone who sells prints.

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    He's like the Thomas Kinkade of landscape photography. Can't say I'm a fan of his work, but I sure wouldn't mind having his popularity and income!
    +1. And add that I hope the Native American nation where the photo was taken gets a fair percentage of the proceeds. A small percentage times 6.5 million is a lot of money. And hope his guide got a heckuva tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Now I'm going to be the cynical one.......I will believe it when I see such numbers in a public sale. Galleries have been known to fake such sales to boost an artists value-happens all the time. You get a "buyer" to front the money. The "sale" happens and then the money (or a large part of it) is quietly given back to the buyer. But the public perception is that the deal was for real and the artist stock goes way up.
    I agree, for example this sale listed on Wikepedia from 2010

Peter Lik
    One (2010)
    $1,000,000
    December 2010
    Anonymous collector[16][17][18][19]
    This purported sale was a private sale and not verifiable. All other sales on this list are public auction records.

Sounds like the mafia is "buying" art again

Wow you guys are bitter. I like the picture. It's also extremely similar to a lot of what you'll see in the landscape thread here.
    -Chris

Les

Worse, we can look forward to see a huge increase of the lemming-emulators in the canyon. While in the SW (just months ago) I found many more spectacular places without drooling over the iconic. But, getting back to the image, I've seen several (by other artists) that made me look again and again....yes, a detail of the canyon....and this one just doesn't. Just my pov.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Wow you guys are bitter. I like the picture. It's also extremely similar to a lot of what you'll see in the landscape thread here.
    But isn't that precisely the issue? $6.5 million for something "extremely similar" to what is being posted on a largely "amateur" forum? That makes many of us suspicious.

It's funny that Lik's photographs don't seem to command anything near these prices at public auctions.

Also, fyi, this same buyer bought two other prints at the same time, one for $2.4 million and one for $1.1 million. According to Lik's press release.

You'd think with prices like these existing owners would be coming out of the woodwork to sell their prints...

But this is nothing that doesn't happen every day in the regular art world.

--Darin

Presuming it is digital, I wonder what the file is worth? A favorite Linux command "wget". For some reason I can imagine Monte Python ordering copies of different sizes and colors, and you you make that smaller or that larger, move that here and reverse that with this. I worked in the digital hardware/software side of graphics for decades, I'm done.

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems(retired)