Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: majestic head with panning

Re: majestic head with panning

Quote Originally Posted by cjj2003 View Post
    Sinar P. With all of the various extensions, macro lens and digital back I would bet it's pushing 30 to 40 lbs.
    For a Sinar P you can't beat one of these: http://www.surpluscameragear.com/ser...-Tripod/Detail

They show up used occasionally on the for sale section here and Ebay.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I wish it were geared.

"Out of the box" idea:
    Put your subject on a mill table. You can pan the subject instead of the camera.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    He may not understand how heavy duty those are and how to clamp anything to one.

It's good idea, but I would mount my camera to it, unless shooting digital with tether where you could live view while moving object.

You could also mount bigger stage to the XY table.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    He may not understand how heavy duty those are and how to clamp anything to one.

It's good idea, but I would mount my camera to it, unless shooting digital with tether where you could live view while moving object.

You could also mount bigger stage to the XY table.
    He was talking about shooting straight down, so I thought it might make some sense.
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    He was talking about shooting straight down, so I thought it might make some sense.
    I missed that. He needs a Horseman. Honest guys I had this already setup.

Here I have a 4x5 Horseman on a Majestic on a Arkay Studio stand. I am not shooting macro but I could. I am shooting straight down on a still life.

The Horseman has the advantage over a Sinar here as it has a geared tripod mount. Meaning I can move all 3 parts connected to the rail independently. Lens standard, rear standard and tripod mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5872.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	126342
    Tin Can

I missed that. He needs a Horseman. Honest guys I had this already setup.

Here I have a 4x5 Horseman on a Majestic on a Arkay Studio stand. I am not shooting macro but I could. I am shooting straight down on a still life.

The Horseman has the advantage over a Sinar here as it has a geared tripod mount. Meaning I can move all 3 parts connected to the rail independently. Lens standard, rear standard and tripod mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5872.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	126342
    That looks a lot like my setup (including the camera stand; is that an "RDA mono stand"?). The Sinar has geared movements as well and shooting straight down isn't really the problem. The problem is that the head can not pan, so when I'm shooting at an angle, the only way to make fine adjustments is to move the subject, or loosen the post that the head is attached to and try to move the camera but that doesn't work very well for fine adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by cjj2003 View Post
    That looks a lot like my setup (including the camera stand; is that an "RDA mono stand"?). The Sinar has geared movements as well and shooting straight down isn't really the problem. The problem is that the head can not pan, so when I'm shooting at an angle, the only way to make fine adjustments is to move the subject, or loosen the post that the head is attached to and try to move the camera but that doesn't work very well for fine adjustments.
    I have 2 of these stands and one says Arkay and the other something else, but are identical except for paint.

I have had Sinar and I didn't notice geared movement of the tripod mount.

Maybe you need to tilt your subject stage and let the camera move straight line.

We are running out of options...

I shoot 11x14 macro 1 to 1 of people.

How close in are you going? 5-1, 10-1?

Most macro camera movements are done XY and not with panning.

Have you read any books on macro? There is one I just read and I cannot find it. It is the bible of macro. It had lots of DIY tips, but I don't recall your particular issue being addressed. The book was very thorough.

You may have to make what you want. Make it very strong. McMaster Carr is a great source for DIY parts of all kinds. No order too small. I buy from them weekly.
    Tin Can

I have 2 of these stands and one says Arkay and the other something else, but are identical except for paint.

I have had Sinar and I didn't notice geared movement of the tripod mount.

Maybe you need to tilt your subject stage and let the camera move straight line.

We are running out of options...

I shoot 11x14 macro 1 to 1 of people.

How close in are you going? 5-1, 10-1?

Most macro camera movements are done XY and not with panning.

Have you read any books on macro? There is one I just read and I cannot find it. It is the bible of macro. It had lots of DIY tips, but I don't recall your particular issue being addressed. The book was very thorough.

You may have to make what you want. Make it very strong. McMaster Carr is a great source for DIY parts of all kinds. No order too small. I buy from them weekly.
    You are quite correct; the Sinar does not have a geared movement of the tripod mount, but since the stands are geared I haven't really needed it.

I shoot jewelry so almost all of my macro work is 1:1. I use the Sinar and a Leaf Aptus 22 for digital capture. I don't do a lot of panning -- you are correct that most of the time it's better to fine tune placement by moving the piece in X-Y -- but sometimes I do need to change where the camera is pointed... I can't believe that no one does this!

If you find the book, let me know the title.