Thread: DIY Motorized roller base

Re: DIY Motorized roller base

and details on the tubes?
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    What are these made of? how did you close the end? where does one get material for this?
    These are polypropylene tubes. PP can be welded but I used just a soldering iron to cap the ends with a piece of PP sheet. Ugly but works. The tubes are cut from central vacuum cleaner pipes. This is the actual product: http://allaway.fi/p/putki-0-6-m/ (only in Finnish, sorry).

Does anyone know of a step-by-step guide on how to build one of these roller-thingys for us, non-technical folk who can otherwise follow instructions? I want to build one that accommodates both the 2521 and 2551 jobo drums.

Thanks.
    --Mario

Japan Exposures

http://colinflanarygraham.com/darkshop/?p=2249

Very simple and good looking roller... I have to keep going on finishing mine

Why does it need to roll clockwise and then counter-clockwise? Why can't it roll in one direction only? Is there a reason for the clockwise/counter-clockwise movement?

Thanks.
    --Mario

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Why does it need to roll clockwise and then counter-clockwise? Why can't it roll in one direction only? Is there a reason for the clockwise/counter-clockwise movement?
    I look forward to an answer, too. My tank roller yaws slightly along the long dimension to move chemicals randomly.

Motor bases probably don't need to reverse directions as a general rule, but after some testing with mine I found that randomly reversing directions results in more even development when using very dilute developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Motor bases probably don't need to reverse directions as a general rule, but after some testing with mine I found that randomly reversing directions results in more even development when using very dilute developers.
    So, the conclusion is that randomly reversing is beneficial - in your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    So, the conclusion is that randomly reversing is beneficial - in your experience.
    It was a conclusion based on my experience, yes. DIY projects have to start somewhere.
    To anyone wanting to build a very specific motor base with limited functionality I'd recommend making a simple mock up to test agitation speed and direction with as many different developer and film combos as possible, then spec the components and mechanics based on those results. If that seems too restrictive, as it did to me, then simply make one with a range of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    It was a conclusion based on my experience, yes. DIY projects have to start somewhere. [...]
    It is good to begin by looking at what already exists and works well. Why not advance from the better rather than repeating an early history of failures?

For yours you need only add one or two slightly eccentric wheels.