Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those sneaky devils...

Those sneaky devils...

Good artists copy. Great artists steal. Now I know where Ebony got their mirrored level design:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3860635653&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Those sneaky devils...

Absolutely Frank! I've mentioned it several times when people swoon over the "innovative" design of the the Ebony flip up mirrored level etc.

I've had an old Sinar one as shown in the auction bolted to the top of my Toyo 45 for years...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Octogenarian

Those sneaky devils...

Yes, but is it built out of titanium?

Those sneaky devils...

I saw that this morning. I was thinking of bidding on it and then taping it to the top of my wooden Wista. Then I would have kind of a poor man's Ebony.

Those sneaky devils...

"Yes, but is it built out of titanium?"

That's moving into male jewellery territory isn't it...?

My bet is Sinar probably has a huge stash of these and other goodies in that warehouse full of accesories they were trying to flog off - and Andrew Glover is, as we speak, combing through it in Switzerland and in four or five years time we will be able to buy it all from Dagor 77 on ebay (at rarity prices), along with a story about long lost Scottish uncles climbing the Matterhorn with Whymper, secret recepies for Rosti, alpenhorns and the gnomes of Zurich
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Those sneaky devils...

That's nifty, but a truly innovative design would incorporate both a compass and a GPS receiver. The add-on accessory would then be a special film holder with an integrated LED that would imprint the data in the margin of your film. Or, maybe a pentaprism reflex viewer. ;-)

Octogenarian

Those sneaky devils...

Tim,

There's an old saying : "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door". Ebony definitely "builds a better mousetrap". Their inique design innovations show up more in their non-folding camera models than in their folding models. Their build quality is first class, even in their entry level models. You get what you pay for. Rolls Royce and Ford both build automobiles. Money being no object, which one would you rather drive on a cross-country trip?

Those sneaky devils...

Michael

It does have a mirror (or should have if it's all in one piece) - it's basically identical to the Ebony one only it was made years ago and out of plastic.

It has that one little screw (sticking up in the picture) which normally has a small nut and washer on the end - in the slit on top of the Sinar standards, that nut/washer slips through the round "keyhole" section then you just slide it along the slot to where you want it and tighten up the screw

Those sneaky devils...

> There's an old saying : "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will
    > beat a path to your door". Ebony definitely "builds a better
    > mousetrap". Their inique design innovations show up more in their
    > non-folding camera models than in their folding models. Their build
    > quality is first class, even in their entry level models. You get what you
    > pay for. Rolls Royce and Ford both build automobiles. Money being no
    > object, which one would you rather drive on a cross-country trip?

A Range Rover...

Octogenarian

Those sneaky devils...

"A Range Rover"

Good choice for a guy that lives close to the North Pole.

Range Rovers are marketed by the same automobile dealers that sell the Rolls, here in the states. They are quality vehicles, and their price reflects that quality. Exactly the point I was attempting to make about the Ebonys.