Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommended tripod legs and head for ULF?

recommended tripod legs and head for ULF?

Ok guys,
    I did a search on this one and didn't find much pertaining directly to my situation. I'm currently using Gitzo 1228 legs with an Arca BI and aRRS quick release set up with my 4x5.

I'm going with a 20lb or less 11x14. What legs are recommended? Can I use my current Arca B1 for this ULF combo.

Ries 100 & a photoplane "A" head works for me on 8x10 all the way up to 12x20. YMMV.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Eric Woodbury

I don't have cameras that big, but for 8x10 I use a wooden Miller tripod made for the movie industry. Very solid and more comfortable on the shoulder than a Reis.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I bought an old Majestic and Majestic gear head at a recent studio sale. I can't imagine that this wouldn't hold an 11x14 and your car as well. I paid $185 for this old master and it's in great shape. It's not real llight if your going on long hikes but it would certainly hold the camera.

Michael,

I'm with Dave on this one...

If you're interested in one... email me off line.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I got a Ries A-100/A-250 combination for my ULF explorations. Based on limited experience so far, I'm really pleased - it can handle my Korona 11x14 with a heavy lens and a holder without breaking a sweat.

I'm not sure about the B1. The specifications posted at B&H say that it can support up to 90 lb. I'm not really comfortable putting a very heavy camera on a ball-head, and especially not on a quick release. But I've not used the B1 myself, and you may get different views from others who've actually tried it for this application.

The spring-mounted screw on the Ries A-250 head does make it a bit easier to mount a big camera, and for some users this might reduce the need for a quick release.

Ditto on the Ries A100 and A250 combination. I would hate to try to put my 32# Wisner 11x14/12x20 combo on anything else. The 6x6 inch base on the head is a pleasure to work on (I added a layer of felt over the metal) and the base spring mounting screw as was previously mentioned was designed by someone that actually shoots LF.

Not a light set up, but so be it.

Cheers!

Surveyor's tripods are the low bux / high steadiness answer.

Maybe the big carbon Gitzo for high bux, but check the recommended max weights.

Best,

C

Like Oren, I use a Ries A-100/A-250 combination for my ULF. In the past, I used a Gitzo series leg/head combo for an 11x14 Deardorff. I also used a Majestic gear head with the Zone VI "heavy" tripod legs and that was my favorite combo for stability and ease of use for ULF.

But I cannot imagine a ballhead and/or quick release plate, not even on my Phillips 11x14 Explorer. That would be a combination just waiting for immediate disaster and instability. Please, don't even consider it.

Good luck.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Ries A-100, A-250, Wisner 14x17 Traditional. (27#, camera only, without lens, or holder) I originally had other tripod plans, but tried it, got spooked, and knew the Ries was the way to go after all.
    Tracy
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com