Thread: Photo Guild In Community--suggestions

Photo Guild In Community--suggestions

Knowing that large formate photographers are serious about their work and their associations, being one, I am asking about the other end of the spectrum, i.e.. photographers who are more accomplished in 35mm format photo work, mostly scenics, wildlife and a few who seek out fine art outlets. Another photographer and I are giving thoughts to the formation of a local photographer's association or guild within our arts community as none exists at this time. Our photo community is a bunch of loners. For those of you who are in an arts/photo guild/association or those of you who have organized such, what advice might you offer re: the establishment of a like minded body of photographers within my community?

Respectfully,
    Raymond---in colorado

Re: Photo Guild In Community--suggestions

I'd check out these two approaches:
    http://nelfpc.com/
    http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/

All I can do is wish you good luck.

I have been trying for a couple of years to really get something going in North Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area). It seems as if it would be easy. There is a group on Meetup.com called the Dallas Film Photography Club with 81 members. They rarely do anything and when they do, it's simply to go to a prexisting event and shoot pictures. On Flickr, there is the North Texas Film Photographers, with 110 members, with similar inactivity.

I started a group on Facebook, and we're up to 23, but not too much goes on there, either. We've tried different formats, and can generally get 5 or 6 of the same people, but that's about it.

What I would be interested in is a group of film shooters that would get together to share prints and show each other's work. However, that seems to be the last thing anyone wants to do. I don't need a "group" to go out and shoot something. In fact, after years of doing that, I'm pretty much tired of shooting in groups. It distracts me. I work alone. But I would think we would all need others to view our work. Maybe not.

Yes, photographers are loners. And I also have come to the conclusion that a great number of the local guys don't ever actually produce any work - certainly not any they're willing to share. Maybe they're not photographers, but just camera owners.

Two local stores carry a decent selection of film and darkroom supplies, and somebody is buying it.

I'm a bit envious of my wife's situation. She is a painter. Locally, she is in several different organizations, two of which meet regularly for sharing work, or workshops. They mount annual shows. Her watercolor group meets monthly, and will have 80 people, some of whom drive 150 miles to attend.

Sorry, I don't have an answer - I'm still looking for the right formula.

Well, this group - http://www.psa-photo.org - has member clubs in many areas (not just the USA, I think). In areas where there aren't clubs, I think the PSA can help with advice on getting one together.
    If the main thing you want is to have people get together, instead of just posting online, then I'd advise starting with a few reliable people and get together in a public place once of month. Make sure each of you tells someone else. It can take awhile for a group to grow, but I think it has a better chance if there's an established date, time, and place for people to find. A nebulous, "Hey, let's get together" will rarely work, imo.

Eric Biggerstaff

Raymond,

I am part of an LF group here in the front range, several of the members are active on this forum. There are 8 of us in the group and we meet once a month at one of our homes to show prints, discuss projects and general discussions about anything. We are all serious about LF and are all dedicated darkroom workers. My advice is to start small, get a schedule and stick to it and increase the size of the group as you meet or discover others in your area who share a common interest.

We have been going strong for going on three years now and it has been great. We have had one group show, and are planning additional. I would think up in your area that there are at least a few other active photographers who might want to join a group / guild. We are lucky that in Colorado there is a fairly large and active LF community.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    Well, this group - http://www.psa-photo.org - has member clubs in many areas (not just the USA, I think). In areas where there aren't clubs, I think the PSA can help with advice on getting one together.
    If the main thing you want is to have people get together, instead of just posting online, then I'd advise starting with a few reliable people and get together in a public place once of month. Make sure each of you tells someone else. It can take awhile for a group to grow, but I think it has a better chance if there's an established date, time, and place for people to find. A nebulous, "Hey, let's get together" will rarely work, imo.
    I think this approach is the best way to start, versus one person trying to get things started. Find 3-6 like minded folks and start meeting like Winger suggests. If you can't find at least 3 other folks to start a small group, well, you'll probably not be able to coax 20 or more people to get together.