Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about mounting an Ilex Acme Synchro #3 shutter

Dave Karp

Re: Question about mounting an Ilex Acme Synchro #3 shutter

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try when I have the lensboard.

Dave Karp

Thanks to everyone who pitched in an answer here.

I finally got around to mounting the flange and putting the lens on the board. Rick Denney's how-to description is right on.

I had the seller cut a 52mm centered hole in a Technika type board. It was just the right size for the flange that came with the 215mm Ilex Caltar.

I marked the flange location on the lensboard so that the lens would be in the proper orientation when screwed in - thanks to Michael Graves' suggestion in the thread I linked above. I went to a local supplier, Allen Bolt in Burbank, who set me up with some 2-56 countersunk screws, the appropriate drill bit and a tapper. The screws require a tiny Allen wrench, which Allen Bolt also supplied. I used my late father-in-law's drill press to precisely drill the holes and made a makeshift handle out of some scrap wood to use with the tapper. The tapper worked smoothly. WD 40 lubricated these operations. After a quick cleanup, I was relieved to see that the holes were in the correct locations and the screws went right in. I now have a nice shorter focal length for my WP setup, and when I remove the front element, it converts to a 14 inch to play with to do some WP portraits.

My blue loctite went missing, but I could not wait to put everything together. Do any of you who mount flanges on metal boards use blue loctite as insurance against the threads loosening?

Dave Karp

I should also say that despite the fact that mounting a Copal or Seiko shutter is much easier, I had some fun working on this project.

Please! No Loctite! Just snug is best.
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I'm glad to hear that you were successful and had fun. Last time I had to mount something very much like yours I paid $35 and had a camera repairman do it (machine a metal lens board and mount an Acme) overnight. Less fun for me, I suppose, but quite effective.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Thanks to everyone who pitched in an answer here.

I finally got around to mounting the flange and putting the lens on the board. Rick Denney's how-to description is right on.

I had the seller cut a 52mm centered hole in a Technika type board. It was just the right size for the flange that came with the 215mm Ilex Caltar.

I marked the flange location on the lensboard so that the lens would be in the proper orientation when screwed in - thanks to Michael Graves' suggestion in the thread I linked above. I went to a local supplier, Allen Bolt in Burbank, who set me up with some 2-56 countersunk screws, the appropriate drill bit and a tapper. The screws require a tiny Allen wrench, which Allen Bolt also supplied. I used my late father-in-law's drill press to precisely drill the holes and made a makeshift handle out of some scrap wood to use with the tapper. The tapper worked smoothly. WD 40 lubricated these operations. After a quick cleanup, I was relieved to see that the holes were in the correct locations and the screws went right in. I now have a nice shorter focal length for my WP setup, and when I remove the front element, it converts to a 14 inch to play with to do some WP portraits.

My blue loctite went missing, but I could not wait to put everything together. Do any of you who mount flanges on metal boards use blue loctite as insurance against the threads loosening?
    Very nice work, Dave. I particularly admire your improvising a tap wrench from scrap wood. I would have felt a compelling need to buy a Starrett no. 93A (well I already have one). Allen Bolt sounds like a great resource and flat head socket head screws lend a certain je ne sais quoi to mounting the lens flange, even though they'll be hidden by the lens and shutter. I agree, Loctite would be overkill.
    David

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    . . . I would have felt a compelling need to buy a Starrett no. 93A . . . .
    That is so true. I want one too. I was going to pick up an inexpensive tap wrench, but I forgot. Once I was in the garage at my in-laws' house, I had to improvise. Probably worked just as well as a cheap one and maybe a touch more satisfying to boot!

Dave Karp

I took a few photos, but I did not have enough hands to make a photo and show me tapping the holes. :-) If I ever get them out of the camera, I'll post a few.

Thanks also to Randy and David on the advice regarding Loctite. I'll skip it.

Brian: Who do you use for repair work and machining? Are they out here in LA? Did they machine a board from scratch? Or did they mill it out and drill/tape the screw holes? Thanks.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Brian: Who do you use for repair work and machining? Are they out here in LA? Did they machine a board from scratch? Or did they mill it out and drill/tape the screw holes? Thanks.
    Steve Choi, Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City.

For me they started with a Cambo board with a Copal 1 (I think) hole. Originally the lens was mounted to a wooden Deardorf board. The hole was machined to proper size and the lens was mounted with the flange on the back side as a retaining ring. At first I was a bit taken aback since the flange is not blackened, but so far I've seen no reflections from the flange.

Dave Karp

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

I tried to mount mine using the flange as a retaining ring. The threaded "tube" portion of the flange (for lack of a better description) was too long. It prevented the rear cell from screwing all the way into the shutter.