Thread: Understanding Kodak Series VI filters.

Understanding Kodak Series VI filters.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Crown Graphic with an Ektar 127mm f4.7 lens. From the research I've done so far I'd need a Series VI adapter ring to be able to use a lens hood.

I'm a little confused about how the Series VI filter hardware works. From what I found out so far I need a slip on adapter ring to use series vi filters or a lens shade. The retainer ring is used to hold the filter in place by sandwiching it in between the retainer and adapter? How then does the lens hood attach? If I only installed the retaining ring do I then have a filter thread to use modern filters?

Thanks.

Re: Understanding Kodak Series VI filters.

The screw in hood would replace the retaining ring

Quote Originally Posted by linkedit View Post
    g do I then have a filter thread to use modern filters?

Thanks.
    Unfortunately, no. (I don't understand why no one seems to make a seres-to-mm adapter.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I have a couple of pieces of Series VI equipment and a 127 Ektar...

the slip on part of the adapters came in several sizes to match different lenses and you'd have to make sure you get the correct one for your lens, the 127mm Ektar should take the 1 1/2 inch (38mm) adapter [that fits my 127 but measure yours before you spend any money]

the front aspect of the slip-on component is threaded and takes either a lens hood or a plain retaining ring, either of which hold the filters in place
    the filters are not threaded, they just drop in and are held in place by either the securing ring or hood
    the outside aspect of the securing ring and hood are not threaded to take another component

I've found that the Series VI thread is close enough to 44mm that I've bought a 44 to 49 step up ring so I could use modern 49mm filters and that seems to function ok

if you wanted the slip on adapter, modern filters and a hood all at one time perhaps you could try a 44 to something step-up ring, a filter, and then a light screw in hood with the same thread as the filter? [but it seems like a lot of hardware to hang on the front of a lens with a slip-on adapter and I'd worry about how secure it'd be]
    Last edited by Andrew; 27-Nov-2014 at 16:50.

Guys,

Thanks for the replys. It all makes more sense now.

oh, and if you try to jerry-rig a hood... watch out for possible vignetting !

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogr...Series_filters and jump down to section 3.5 about series filters.

Also look at http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html for info on Ektar lenses.

FWIW, I have purchased Series-to-mm adapters several times from eBay. You may be able to find an adapter to modern filters there.

For other Ektars I own, I have made, or have had made, a custom slip-on adapter to common filter sizes (I use 52mm annd 67mm).

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogr...Series_filters and jump down to section 3.5 about series filters.

Also look at http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html for info on Ektar lenses.

FWIW, I have purchased Series-to-mm adapters several times from eBay. You may be able to find an adapter to modern filters there.

For other Ektars I own, I have made, or have had made, a custom slip-on adapter to common filter sizes (I use 52mm annd 67mm).

Hope this helps,

Doremus
    Helpful info. I found a few series vi adapters on eBay but a series to mm adapter would be more useful.

I'll keep an eye out, thanks.