Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-review: EVOC photo pack for Toyo 810M or other large format camera

Re: Mini-review: EVOC photo pack for Toyo 810M or other large format camera

Thanks, Anthony; I agree, I wouldn't order it without trying it in person first.
    I'm in Ottawa, and the EVOC website lists four dealers, all bike shops; those four shops do not list EVOC on their websites.
    But the distributor in Calgary is listed, so I might give them a call and see what they say.
    Appreciate the review.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Nice looking pack, Anthony. If I didn't already have the Lowepro 600AW (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_600_AW.html I would certainly consider the Evoc. Looking at the differences in the specs, if the specs given for the Evoc (34 x 55 x 19 cm) are for the interior, then the width is 3cm shorter than the Lowepro while the length is 6cm greater (37 x 19 x 49cm) (WxDxH) and the Evoc weighs 1.6 lbs less. Another difference is that the Lowepro will hold 5 film holders in a padded carrying case in the laptop compartment which is conveniently situated on the outside of the pack away from the body and there are 3 places for carrying a tripod. Everything else looks similar but I do like that the Evoc opens book-style instead of vertical as the Lowepro.

But Evoc or Lowepro I would never go 8x10ing on the bicycle. For bicycle LF photo tours I carry a Toyo 45CF field camera (~4.1 lbs with normal lens attached) in a rear pannier and a Gitzo GT1040 tripod (~1.7lbs) on the rear carrier.

Thomas

Hi Anthony,
    One more question: how does the pack feel after walking with it on your back for an hour or longer?
    It seems like much thought was put into protecting the gear, I was wondering what comfort is like for extended periods?
    Thank you again.

And, I forgot to ask: how tall are you, Anthony? Do you think the pack would work well for people of different height?
    Thank you

It's super comfortable, that's the biggest reason I use EVOC packs. I've climbed mountains with this pack, snowshoed, mountain biked... They hold really snug so they don't swing around on you but at the same time are very comfortable. The back is very well padded for carrying weight and the waist belts is really nice, the padded part is a bit stretchy and has velcro to do it up. Then you can clip the nylon belt on over that and cinch it down.

Let me put it this way: I'm an outdoor guide and I get pro deals or even free packs from several major pack manufacturers. I choose to pay retail for EVOC bags because I like them that much better. As always, YMMV as I do know people who hate them.

I'm 6-6 with a long torso. I normally wear XL sized packs from EVOC or anybody else. This one is a single size and it fits me fine although I wouldn't complain if it was taller. I think it would fit better for someone of more average height although I can't say how it would be for someone on the shorter side of things.

Thank you, Anthony; I've been reading some very good reviews about the pack; many of them stressed how comfortable it was.
    The system at Photobackpacker had me wondering about individual height for a one-size-fits-all pack; you are 6'6" and I am 5'9".
    I'm just having trouble locating a pack that I can see for myself.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

The backer board on the PBP is adjustable for different torso lengths. I'd be very surprised if it couldn't be set easily for your torso length.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

That's good to know, Peter; the PBP system is still a bit of a mystery to me, I thought the backer board would have to be ordered specific to my size.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    That's good to know, Peter; the PBP system is still a bit of a mystery to me, I thought the backer board would have to be ordered specific to my size.
    The Pbp site tells you how to measure your torso height. When you order you tick a box with your height. Bruce adjusts the size of the pack to fit your specified size. The packs are also user adjustable of needed.

I love them so much I have three of them and my wife has one.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the feedback; thanks to Anthony for posting his review.