Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-review: EVOC photo pack for Toyo 810M or other large format camera

Mini-review: EVOC photo pack for Toyo 810M or other large format camera

On another thread, Ari was asking about backpack options for the Toyo 810M. I've been meaning to post a bit of a review of the pack that I've been using, the EVOC CP 35l photo pack, so I figured this was good motivation to get around to it. Rather than clog up Ari's thread with a pile of photos I've started a new one.

First a bit about EVOC. I own several of their packs for mountain biking. I'm a big fan of them, especially how well they fit when doing difficult riding. We also own one of their airline bike travel cases which has proven very durable. So, when I saw they had a photo pack coming out I jumped on it, originally to use with my Pentax 645N system. However, it turns out to be a really good pack for the 8x10 and that's mostly what I've been using it for.

I like it because it fits securely especially doing technical activities, holds the gear I use well, protects things and is generally well made. The downside is at 35 L in size you're pretty much limited to the basics, you're not going to fit a huge kit or a ton of film holders in here.

Here's the basic look of the pack:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100708.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	125593

You have quick access to the top compartment, handy to grab a camera body or whatever. (I don't normally have a 645 in there!)

Name:	P1100709.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	125594

The side pockets are really big and will hold jackets, gloves, water bottles, light meters.... They are also big enough to hold a stack of 4x5 film holders.

Name:	P1100712.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	125597

Name:	P1100711.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	125596

Re: Mini-review: EVOC photo pack for Toyo 810M or other large format camera

Here's the harness. I find it fits really well without shifting around while climbing or going downhill. The waist belt is comfortable and the back is well-padded.

Name:	P1100713.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	125598

Here's a detail of the construction. They use burly zippers with big pulls so you can quickly get your bag open when you need to.

Name:	P1100714.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	125599

The top handle is also super sturdy, no problem with 30-40 lbs of camera gear in there. Great for hauling the pack in and out of the car.

Name:	P1100723.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	125600

Here's what the bag looks like fully loaded (except for tripod). I'll show what I have inside next.

Name:	P1100719.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	125601

Here's how the camera fits into the pack. Like most photo packs this one came with a zillion dividers but as you can see I am only using a few of them.

The pack opens from the back (harness) side which is nice. When you set it down in the snow, sand, dirt you aren't getting all that stuff on your back when you pick it up.

Name:	P1100715.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	125602

Here's everything that I normally carry. Camera in the main compartment with dark cloth on top of it. Spare lens, light meter, compendium hood and loupe are above it. I could carry a few more lenses if I put the light meter and hood into a side pocket. The cover has lots of little pouches for cable releases, filters, wipes, spare batteries, etc.

Name:	P1100716.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	125603

Here's that quick access.

Name:	P1100717.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	125604

The pack has a protected laptop compartment. I got a cheap-o laptop sleeve from Staples that holds two film holders that slide into the laptop sleeve. If I stuff the dark cloth into a side pouch I can sneak another sleeve with two holders into the main compartment, on top of the camera, but often I'm only carrying two holders with me as shown.

Name:	P1100718.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	125605

If I'm just walking I normally carry my tripod, but if I'm mountain biking, on snowshoes or using hiking poles I'll strap it on the pack. As far as tripod carrying options, there are a few.

This little tripod pocket pops out of the bottom and then you have two straps across the back.

Name:	P1100720.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	125606

Here I'm using some of the ice axe / ski pole attachments to carry the tripod at an angle.

Name:	P1100721.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	125607

You can also attach it to the side of the pack but I think that's best with a lighter, smaller tripod. I wouldn't do it with this one.

Name:	P1100722.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	125608

Hope that was helpful. This pack has some limitations but I've been really happy with it for the kind of stuff I do. The biggest thing for me is that I trust this pack when I'm out biking or hiking to protect my stuff.

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Nice review.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Anthony, great review and round-up of the features of this pack; thank you very much for doing this.

I like the red interior, so much easier to see what's inside.

I'll check into EVOC retailers and pricing, and I'm also waiting to hear back from Bruce at Photobackpacker about some options.

Lurker

I find it interesting how other people pack their gear. Nice review. The dog photo bombing is the best!

David

Anthony, where did you buy your pack?

The EVOC website is frustrating because it does not list the retailers; it shows a Google map with pins.

None of the dealers mentioned in the map list EVOC in their websites, either.

I bought it through my local bike shop. It looks like there are 5-6 bike shops in Toronto that carry EVOC, you might have to phone around a bit to see if anyone has the camera bag in the shop. I definitely would not buy it, or any pack, without trying one on and preferably with some weight in it.

It can be tough to find their products in Canada sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFZ1 View Post
    I find it interesting how other people pack their gear. Nice review. The dog photo bombing is the best!
    Thanks David. He was getting exciting as packing the pack often means going out to fun places.

I should also add that he makes a terrible photo assistant. He hasn't ruined a LF shot yet but I have plenty of 35mm and 120 frames he's wandered into.