Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Panel LCD Displays for Photoshop Work

Flat Panel LCD Displays for Photoshop Work

I need a new monitor. I am now using a LaCie 19 inch photonblue that is starting to have a few problems. Since I need a new monitor anyway i am wondering if now is the time to make the switch to an LCD Display? Almost everything I read says they aren't there yet in terms of matching CRT performance for photo editing but the, none of what I read has been written by photographers. I use a Macintosh G5 running OS 10.3.x. I can accommodate a 19 inch monitor, maybe a 20 inch monitor if it is a flat panel, in the available space. I am not interested in spending a fortune, say something in the range of $500. Is there anythign out there? Are there LCD Displays that are worth buying? Am I better advised to get another electronblue and keep waiting for more improvements in the LCD's? I would love to recapture some space on the table but nto at the sacrifice of image quality.

Thanks

I much prefer CRT's for Photoshop work. In your price range, another 19" Electron Blue would be my recommendation - especially since they're going to stop making them (if they haven't already). You can find LCD's for under $500 on dealmac.com but you get what you pay for! I don't think you'll lose much image quality but you will lose options for higher resolution, and possibly a better dynamic range. I hate staring at the actual texture of LCD's which is annoying to me.

I've been looking for the same thing. From what I can tell, the Apple Cinema Flat Screen is "there", but at a cost of several grand. I looked at one today and I was really amazed with it, but the high cost decided it for me.

I think I'm sticking with the CRTs until those prices come down.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Looking at an earlier thread led me to the monitoroutlet.com. I talked with them and the chapo I spoke withi basically discouraged me from going the LCD route unless I was prepareed to go for the big bucks (e.g. 1500) and he also commented that even then I was unlikely to see better performance than I am getting from the LaCie. BTW, that sort of knowledgable, straight forward response is much appreciated and you can be sure that when I do get a monitor i will look to them first.

I am very interested in hearing the experience of others before I jump in any direction.

Thanks,

Ted

I would agree that the only LCDs that come close to CRTs for Photoshop work is the Apple Cinema line.

Sometime in 2005, all CRT manufatcurers will stop making consumer level CRT's. After that (and current inventory runs out) the only CRTs you will only be able to purchase will be pro level CRTs (I work for one of the manufacturers).

We've tried a number of different CRT's and LCD's and finally spent the bucks on a Sony Artisan. It's unique features, not the least of which is its calibration system, proved too irresistible. We use the Artisan for the image and another older CRT for the toolbars. Combined with a Graphiclite Softview dimmable lightbox, a G5 processor, and Photoshop CS, we have a streamlined operation that saves enough time and aggravation to warrant the extra expense. I cannot imagine that an LCD monitor could handle the subtleties of an image as well as a CRT can, particularly the Artisan. Perhaps time will prove me wrong.

The best LCDs for photo work are the Eizo ColorEdge. However, the are very expensive. The best is the new CG220, which appears to outperform CRTs, but it costs over $6000.

NEC also has a wide-gamut LED-backlit LCD monitor, which outperforms CRTs. It costs even more than the Eizo.

The Apple Cinema displays are good, but there are some serious problems with the current models (with the aluminum case). The 23" one especially has a lot of reports of uneven color across the display (blue or yellow bands at the sides) as well as an overall magenta cast. There are some reports of similar problems with the 20" and 30" models, but they seem less prone to problems than the 23". To see the problem reports, visit Apple's support forums. The older models with the polycarbonite case do not exhibit these artifacts.

As far as price/performance goes, it is still best to stick to CRTs.

For $500 nothing will come close to a good CRT, but be quick 'cause they won't be available for much longer.

Excuse my ignorance, but does this all mean that the iMac G5 LCD display is considered inferior to a CRT for photo work? To my casual eye they looked pretty dang good...

CRT are often sharper and brighter than LCDs, which make them look better at first, and they are indeed superior for things like retouching, montage, sharpening, etc.. as well as text work. They are also a better choice if you work in a bright room, since to see what a good CRT shows you, the room has to be fairly dark.
    On the other hand, unless you spend big bucks, the color and tone precision of a CRT would be superior. People often cite color correction as an area where the CRT shines, but if you are doing B&W work, you'll find the abilities of CRTs to display properly very dark levels beneficial.