Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reboot

Re: Reboot

Trekking poles made all the difference for my knees, ankles, hips and back. I thought my backpacking days were just about over until trying some out.

These are nice- http://shop.leki.com/en/product.php?product_id=59302. They are very strong, light, and can be broken down and packed away when not needed.

Kirk,

I think I told you I had a heart attack in March? I am also 64 and one stent has changed my life. As I tell some people, everything (wink) works better now. I went from 220 to 170lb before the heart attack...

One day at time and I am having the time of my life!

Good luck with everything.

And luck is never to be ignored.

Tin Can

Reboot? If they're worn out, by all means, get a new pair and keep going! Go DO! And budget your time on the computer (especially hours in Photoshop - it's a killer). So what am I doing here and now ..... uh?

Thanks all for the sage comments. Peer experience is the best. I've had one knee replaced and that has helped enormously and takes some pressure off the other one. All other indicators are good. My other big problem has been osteoarthritis-mainly in shoulder,neck, elbows, wrists and hands. I can't ride a real bike anymore-too painful. So I'm on a recumbent inside and out. But i'm going in for another checkup in about a week or two. I'm heading back out to the Bisti on Tuesday and give my new RPT 3 a decent tryout. It should help.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, if you die I swear I'll kill ya!

If I die have at it
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Exercise machines be damned! Physical effort, perhaps in some moderation, while doing what you love is the best exercise. It is also far better at maintaining enthusiasm and mental health than gyms and other artificial ways of keeping the body fit. Being around others with youthful zest also is great geriatric medicine. When Edward Steichen was 80, he married a woman a third of his age. That kept him going for another sixteen years. I'm tempted to give up high school reunions -- there's nobody there but old people! At 82 I go neither far nor fast, but still enjoying photographing whatever is within reach.

2 Bit Hack

I have a rule that helps when there are too many things I need or want to do to the point of not being able to start. I choose the easiest (or quickest) goal first. Just getting a start is half the battle. The rest seems to come naturally. That said, I too feel like I am getting old. After one stint operation (gaining 30 lbs afterward) and the damage from statins, I feel like utter shit. Hence my plans focus on what is around the vehicle. I try to walk at least a mile a day though weather and job gets in the way.

I wish I had your problem. I have not even begun to scratch what I would like to do in LF as I just started this year. I have seen your work. You should feed accomplished. Yet I fully understand the desire for more. Again just start doing what comes first. Forget the worries of getting old and just do what you enjoy.
    Regards

Marty

Thanks. I am of course talking here about personal projects not commercial work. Starting is not my problem-I do shoot regularly-focusing and finishing are my problems I feel now. I have narrowed my projects down to just three, one real short term with a shooting cut off in March for an upcoming show, one I can finish up in the next couple of years and one long term-my personal opus.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Exercise machines be damned! Physical effort, perhaps in some moderation, while doing what you love is the best exercise. It is also far better at maintaining enthusiasm and mental health than gyms and other artificial ways of keeping the body fit. Being around others with youthful zest also is great geriatric medicine. When Edward Steichen was 80, he married a woman a third of his age. That kept him going for another sixteen years. I'm tempted to give up high school reunions -- there's nobody there but old people! At 82 I go neither far nor fast, but still enjoying photographing whatever is within reach.
    +1, no gyms ever for me. I'll walk and work my way to fitness, as always.

As for Statins in another post. I have a heart doctor that wants to kill me with those damn pills, but I also have another doctor who got me off them, off booze, off sugar, off excess carbs and that's how I lost 50 lbs I had gained when I took the first doctor's pills.

I take a blood thinner for my stent, but that will stop after one year.

We are born to die, enjoy now. I have not felt this good in 15 years...
    Tin Can