Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stand Developing tanks/technique for 4x5

Re: Stand Developing tanks/technique for 4x5

My experience with stand development is that micro-contrast in the mid-tones and especially shadows is diminished.

Does anyone else find the same? (please note that I am referring to conventional printing: not scanning and manipulation.) Thank you.

My own experience is limited to rodinal which is a pretty contrasty developer as is. In my experience with 645 I find that rodinal stand development produces a tamed grain and good contrast. As far as micro-contrast in the midtones it may be something I have not paid attention to because I have been rather pleased overall with the results and process. I have developed lots of 35mm and some 645 in D76 with standard developing process/agitation and found no benefit over stand.

Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    Mod54+Paterson tank
    I second this.

It seems to me that the Mod54 and a Paterson tank keep it simple, and relatively cheap considering other solutions. In my opinion it was a no-brainer compared to other methods.

I bought and used this as an absolute beginner to large format\4x5 and have had no issues with it at all. Keep you patience while loading it (which isn't difficult) and you'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Yankee Cut Film tank?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eveloping.html

Since I am doing stand development being absolutely leak proof isn't a big deal I can deal with getting my hands wet a little, the most important aspects would be light tightness and ease of loading though the latter can be overcome with practice so not that important.
    Since I have the same question (and RodinalDuchamp never got an answer), I'll revive this thread to see if anyone has experience with the Yankee (or similar FR) tank and stand development. It would seem to address the 2 issues I might have: 1) amount of chemistry required for 4-8 sheets of film and 2) difficulty of achieving good agitation with this tank.