Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo Road Trips

Re: Solo Road Trips

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'd suggest a bit of cash as well as plastic.
    A bit? A lot of cash is better. Just do not keep it all together. Cops off the grid do not take plastic.

I guess I'm a loner. I LOVE going alone. The pictures are where you find them. I do it in a Model A at 47 mph.

One trick that works well for me. Do your route on google earth and choose roads away from the interstate. 2 lane roads that go through the old forgotten places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldRoadGrtSltLake_03s.jpg   WofEurNV.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    2 lane roads that go through the old forgotten places.
    Blue Highways.

I have itchy feet too! LoL

For me, I have additional considerations: first there is the thing call $dayjob$. I work in the Silicon Valley, running a teeny company, so I will HAVE to have Internet access. Second, as a small Asian guy, my family worry about my taking solo road trips. While I can "take care of myself," especially if that rosewood staff is handy, it's something to consider.

Plus that while I enjoy going to National Parks etc., I think I may take a road trip to "See America," the Route 66 type of thing, but with a 4x5, and not walking, and definitely not in silence either :-)

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    IWhile I can "take care of myself," especially if that rosewood staff is handy, it's something to consider
    I am comfortable with a Colt 45 automatic.

2 Bit Hack

Oh, I am not new to road trips, even solo road trips. But the solo without a definite destination into isolated areas is new . And the cash aspect is a must. Also, not doing winter would take some of the angst out of it.I am very familiar with I-40 as I have been on every inch of that road several times. But once I hit Amarillo I am off the interstate with paper maps in hand looking for alternate routes. I figure one day to get to Fayetteville, AR (a frequent trip for me). A day maybe two there. Then one day to Santa Fe. From there to Farmington, NM and Shiprock then to Mexican Hat. At least that is what is in my mind right now. So given one day in Fayetteville I am thinking Mexican Hat on day 4 with Shiprock behind me.

What do you think, five days in Mexican Hat? Then one or two days to Page/Cameron (Little Colorado gorge and Little Antelope Valley). I think by that time I am looking at 3 days back to Georgia. Or is 5 days in Mexican Hat too long? I really don't want to be this specific but I would really like advice form those of you that have spent time in these regions.

Though, Sedona area looks really cool but that may be too far. (Yes Google Streets is a very cool tool)

What is difficult is the route back. I hate backtracking so it is either I-40 or routes south.

As for the day job. I am wrapping up a number of projects this week with no dead lines till spring or later.
    Maybe Cumberland Island is a better short term.

I don't think DV or Mammoth would be possible on this trip. But the Mammoth region in winter is a very beautiful thing. I lived there for a few years and would like to revisit with LF.

Jim I agree with you about the 2 lane roads. Tonopah to Ely to Beaver, UT used to be my route back to Arkansas. Though it was normally at night and with a heavy foot. Have to be careful in that region for the open range and wildlife. Regular slaughter house.
    Regards

Marty

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am comfortable with a Colt 45 automatic.
    I was wondering about that.
    Regards

Marty

It's been several years since I did quite a few solo trips, but they were all great. I had a shell on my truck for camping and afternoon naps. No schedules whatsoever. Always pack lots of film and enough film holders. Times have changed but my desire for more solo trips has not. Have a different truck now, it's old and loves backroads. Good chance I will do a trip next year. Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face.

Only you can decide if you're comfortable being alone for an extended period. I am, though I prefer traveling and camping with my dog - who never argues with my decisions.

I'd be cautious about a stash of cash: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...top-and-seize/

I do think it's worthwhile for someone to have your travel plan and to check in every few days. Carrying a firearm is a personal decision, but if you do, you really need to know how to use it and know the laws wherever you will be. I prefer bear spray; but even that is subject to laws in various states.

There was a reference somewhere in the thread about average temperatures. Average is meaningless. You have to be prepared for the worst reasonable case.

On a less dire note, I like to have an alarm or timer with me. Many rest stops allow parking for only 4 hours. So I sleep for 4, travel to the next one, and sleep some more. This is more necessary when traveling with the dog and dog friendly hotels are less common.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The best time for extended road trips (30+days) in the west (e., the Colorado Plateau) for me have been during the period from Christmas to the end of January. The days are short but the light is always good, the sky has character, the crowds are gone, the campgrounds empty and the motels cheap.

Thomas