I am getting really itchy feet. I was thinking of packing the gear up and hit the back roads bearing west. I want to eventually end up in 4 corners area and wander for a week or so. How far west? I do not know, but Mammoth Lakes would be nice. It might be too much of a haul from S. Georgia. Obviously, photography is the objective of this trip so photo gear will be included. I have no intentions of wandering from the vehicle, not much anyway. Camping is probably out of the question this time of year except maybe in Death Valley or Saline Valley.

Here is the deal. I cannot find any traveling companions. I have been on many road trips but the only times I was alone across country was either going home or in route to another populated place. Never an open ended trip with no real destination other than an area that is known for isolation and its unforgiving nature. I am not a f%&kup. I have excellent common sense (so I've been told) but sometimes things just happen.

How many of you are willing to strike out on your own? Have you actually done it? What challenges did you find on the road as a solo traveler? Are there any special items needed that one would not normally consider? What are situations to avoid? AND by all means what are the advantages to being alone?

What do you think? Would you set out without a destination or even a path to follow................alone?