Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11x14 Camera recommendation?

11x14 Camera recommendation?

Clay and Sal,

I spoke with Dick a couple weeks ago and he's got one 11x14 that's gone and the other is iffy, the customer isn't sure if he wants it or not. Dick spent along time on the phone with me answering all my questions, he took my number and assured me if someone was selling one or the buyer of the new one backed out he would give me a call. I would like to hold out for a Phillips but if all fails I'm leaning towards the Canham, thanks for all the help.

Clay

Well, both the Canham and the Phillips are very nice, very usable cameras. I have Canhams in 12x20 and 7x17, and I really enjoy using them. They strike the right balance between rigidity and beefiness and weight. I think there are some other ULF cameras that are built like tanks, but the additional mass introduces other problems in using them, such as sore backs and reluctance to pull them out of the trunk. I can still put the Canham 12x20 on a tripod and carry it over my shoulder for a reasonable distance. You just don't feel like doing that with a 32 pound camera and a 10 pound tripod.

Another format option you may want to consider is the 10x12. Keith made a conversion back for my 7x17 in this format for me last year, and I think he has another complete camera he made at the same time. I know that Quality Camera in Atlanta has several holders and boxes of new Tri-X in this size as well. Photowarehouse will provide all the FP-4 in this size you would every need.

It is a really functional format. The camera feels no different to operate and manuever than an 8x10, but the negative just feels a lot bigger - because it is! It has 50% more area, yet almost every lens you can use on an 8x10 will work on the 10x12.

As a user of Keith Canham's cameras, including a 12x20 and 7x17 (same as Clay) - I would recommend a Canham whole heartedly.

Keith's cameras balance the need for sturdiness and weight... and you cannot beat his customer service. In addition, if Keith states he will be done with it on a certain date, you can be assured that the item is shipping on that date.

Some things to note about the Canham ULF cameras... there is a thread under the front standard so that you can attach a Bogen long lens support when using longer bellows extensions - thus creating additional stability.

Make sure that you get the threads on the top of the rear and front standards so that you can add a wind stabilizer (AWB - sold by Quality I believe) when you need that extra ridgidity. If you opt for a 7x17, 8x20 or 12x20 which are horizontal only... add another threaded piece to the upper part of the left side of the rear standard so that when you do decide to do a verytical, you can use any monopod and stabilize the weight when flipping your camera 90 degrees. These are options that Keith will add if he is making the camera for you.

Good luck in making your final choice.

Steve

Just so you know, It might interest some of you that a dealer in germany (www.greiner-photo.de ) has a Phillips 11x14 in stock as we speak, as I said earlier I don't know for how much those cameras usually sell, but he has it listed on his website at 3450 euros (roughly 5000 USD), which seems to me as reasonable...

I'd buy it if I had the ,money, but hey, if it makes someone else happy, i'm happy too...

Cheers,

PJ VH

Folks,

I've actually seen the 11x14 Tachihara at Midwest, and the posted weight is about right. It is HEAVY.

Steve

Just one additional point to make for the next 11X14 purchase; weight is indeed a huge factor; make sure you get something portable--otherwise you won't use the camera!
    Also, I note that some recommend the Canham and some the Wisner. It is a matter of personal preference; I have a camera from both manufacturers. They are different--best advice is to compare; Canham has locking levers, Wisner has twist knobs, etc.

If you can live with the landscape orientation, a Phillips is the only choice. If you need both, any of the previously mentioned will work. The weight and controls will likely be your major consideration. Always remember that if you don't like the way your camera handles, you will not be as "in touch" with your photography as your could be and your vision will suffer. Effort wrestling with your camera can be better focused (pardon the pun) into your photography. Good luck.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

FWIW, I suggest getting a Burk &James---probably the most reasonably priced 11x14 you'll find. That way, you'll have enough money left over for a couple of film holders, a heavy tripod(and I mean heavy!) and a good lens like a 355mm G Claron or 19" RD Artar. My 2-cents.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White