Thread: New to FORUM

New to FORUM

This is my first post to this forum. I've been selling a number of Ca 1900 wooden cameras for a friend and need info of some of them that don't have nameplates. I need all the help that I can get

Re: New to FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by syclone View Post
    This is my first post to this forum. I've been selling a number of Ca 1900 wooden cameras for a friend and need info of some of them that don't have nameplates. I need all the help that I can get
    We are not here to help newbies sell. We are enthusiasts that want people to join this forum and use these cameras.

If you want help, post pictures of cameras, but you will not have access to the buy and sell threads until you are a 30 day member.

Go read our rules. We do enforce them.

Good luck and welcome!
    Tin Can

Let's give Syclone a friendlier welcome. He started a reasonable thread, with photo, asking for help in identifying a camera that looked somewhat like an early Deardorf (unfortunately in the wrong place, the LF Image Sharing forum rather than the more appropriate Cameras & Equipment forum, but he's new). He hasn't said anything about using this forum to sell cameras. I imagine that anyone using Google to find a place to ask questions about old LF cameras might end up here. So welcome Syclone, and if you actually use LF cameras, we will be interested in seeing your work,

^^^ Agree ^^^

Welcome to APUG, syclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Let's give Syclone a friendlier welcome. He started a reasonable thread, with photo, asking for help in identifying a camera that looked somewhat like an early Deardorf (unfortunately in the wrong place, the LF Image Sharing forum rather than the more appropriate Cameras & Equipment forum, but he's new). He hasn't said anything about using this forum to sell cameras. I imagine that anyone using Google to find a place to ask questions about old LF cameras might end up here. So welcome Syclone, and if you actually use LF cameras, we will be interested in seeing your work,
    Sorry, I didn't see his photo. Perhaps the welcome is late?
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

Personally, I never get tired of looking at camera p0rn, and love hearing about the comings and goings of the artisans and craftsmen who made lf cameras out of their garden sheds or any way they could, so I have no objection to syclone posting camera pics and asking for help identifying them. He did post a couple pics of a beautiful camera, I'm curious as to how it's origin might be narrowed down a little. I thought 'British' when I saw it, but not from any of the big names.

Welcome, I guess. So you're only here to gather information, but then sell on ebay to the highest bidder? No one works for free (or most smart people don't), so why don't you give first chance to some of the cameras to members here, that are feeding you all the information? I.E. sell some of them to us here, for a good price?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Welcome, I guess. So you're only here to gather information, but then sell on ebay to the highest bidder? No one works for free (or most smart people don't), so why don't you give first chance to some of the cameras to members here, that are feeding you all the information? I.E. sell some of them to us here, for a good price?
    +1.
    Tin Can

There are members here who have excellent galleries of information regarding early view cameras and lenses. Search and be happy. If the members themselves do not post the URLs, perhaps we can.

In the meantime, get out your good metric and American steel rule so that you can post accurate dimensions. Even measuring things such as corner fasteners can help.

(Your earlier picture is definitely not even close to a Deardorff, but learning is a cumulative thing.)