Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York Times article about Clifford Ross ULF

New York Times article about Clifford Ross ULF

"I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

For those who object to registering with the paper, you can use "photoid" as your user name and password (all lower case, omit the quotes.)
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Leave it to the NYT to regurgitate the same tired press release bullshit from a photographer - err... "artist" - whose real talent is self-promotion. There are dozens of photographers on this forum who use larger cameras, make sharper and more detailed photos, and dare to make well-crafted, emotionally-charged, and intelligently composed images. But what do I know? I'm a dummy from a red state ;-0

Hey Frank I'm a dummy from a blue state and I feel the same way. I'm sick of seeing his name pop up in these forums. I have yet to see what is special about his camera, other than he built it himself.

I did some rough calculations. It seems to me that resolving shingles so they look "sharp" at 4000 feet is doing pretty well, but not way beyond what one can do with a even a 4 x 5 camera using the right film. If you throw in a Imacon scanner, you can probably produce Gb files which preserve that detail. But, it is of course impossible to know just how well he is doing except by seeing it directly and examining it.

What does "blue" vs. "red" states have to do with it? It is true that the NY Times might be classified as a "blue" newsapaper. I read both it and the Chicago Tribune, which is located in a "blue" state, but is a moderately "red" newspaper, at least as far as its editorial page is concerned. They both do a good and accurate job of reporting the news, but the Times clearly is superior in that respect. You learn about things in the Times, of all kinds, that you would never see in most other newspapers. But of course no news source is perfect. It is easy for a reporter to get carried away by some point of view and report nonsense that is apparent to anyone knowledgeable about the subject.

Any national story that talks about LF is a good thing irrespective of who it is about because it draws attention to an art form that needs participants to not only survive, but prosper.

Secondly, if each of us would take a few minutes with the truly inquisitive when we are out shooting and dispell some rumors about high cost and beyond their capability, we could collectively bring many into the fold.

Pass it on....

Cheers!

Some of Johannes Bach's children were composers, and considered his music and old-fashioned and dull.

"You're SO squaresville, daddy-o".

Perhaps they made more money than he did, or got better recognition. But unless you're "into classical music", you've probably never heard of them, or any of their compositions.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Also, the story is more about this guy's inquisitive character than anything else.
    As far as his camera, does anyone actually know anything about it?
    I'd be surprised these imaging speciealists at Nasa would be so impressed if it was just a homemade LF camera. There might be some innovation in there that the space guys think they could exploit.

I s it just me or is the horizon line in the photo severely sloping? Maybe we should start a fund to buy the guy a bubble level...

"I s it just me or is the horizon line in the photo severely sloping? Maybe we should start a fund to buy the guy a bubble level..."

my photos have to be level?... now he tells me
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog