Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desperately searching for quality monitor....

Re: Desperately searching for quality monitor....

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I am very unhappy with Eizo. I paid $3,000 for this thing. I was embarrassed into buying it because of my scanning business. I had been using Apple monitors before and it was time to upgrade...

A year and a few months later there are big marks on the monitor from de-laminating. I had the same things on the Apple, I got it repaired and it they back fairly quickly. I'm not particularly hopeful that it can be repaired fully to where the marks will never re-appear.

I called them and they said their spiffy 5 year warranty didn't cover de-lamination. Excuse me?!!! The cost to fix was fairly small, around $150, but if I somehow package up this 27 inch behemoth and send it to them I'll be out of commission for 3-4 weeks, including shipping time.

What am I supposed to do during this time? I am certainly not buying another thing from Eizo. They don't have loaners... which I don't understand.

I did like that it calibrated with a spectro that fit into the monitor. However, their Mac software was mediocre at best. Now that Apple has shipped its iMac with the 5k pixels, I am hoping they ship a standalone monitor, with a decent color space in the near future. Then I will buy that, it will come with a video camera, something I use multiple times a day for video conferencing, and it will be nice and sharp.

Then I will send off my Eizo to get fixed, and when it comes back I will sell the thing. Screw Eizo....

My experience is that color management is clearly oversold, having a perfect, full RGB space may or may not be useful to anyone. It hasn't been to me. I look at the print... this Eizo was not worth the money.

Lenny
    If this problem of de laminating happened on both the mac and eizo, maybe the problem is not with the monitor? Did not likr the mac softwsre? Why are you still using a mac?

I have never seen a delaminated screen, but i have seen many dell and nec and lacie monitors shipped with 3 dead pixels, which is below the standard 5 dead pixel limit the warranty covers. After years of staring into a screen i can safely say that switching to an eizo changed my life. It did not break thr bank, and recently at PPE an eizo rep showed me a 27 inch monitor which costs 700$ or so. It is not a coloredge, but has by far the best specs on paper at least.

NEC are equally good, but the price usually make them less relevant.

Btw, square eizo monitors in 19 and 21 inch sizes are considerably cheaper then wide screens, so one could get 2 monitors and use extended desctop for more productivity.

FWIW, dellrefurbished.com sells lease returns, including some Ultrasharp monitors. They periodically run 30 to 40% off specials and free shipping specials. I stick with items in "Grade A" condition (though have only bought laptops, not monitors).

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    If this problem of de laminating happened on both the mac and eizo, maybe the problem is not with the monitor? Did not likr the mac softwsre? Why are you still using a mac?
    C'mon, this is a ridiculous contention. De-lamination is not caused by software, or hardware that sits next to it... it's a manufacturing defect.

I've been on the mac for 30 years. I have no interest at all in a mac vs pc discussion, but my personal opinion is that mac is many years ahead of the Windoze operating systems. I have both, and I have no interest in making my life miserable. In the 30 years I have had 20-30 monitors and only 2 have failed.

I'm glad for anyone that likes their Eizo, I am simply reporting that I have had a bad experience with them. My next monitor will be an Apple monitor, with a real warranty.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I had good experiences with Lacie color reference monitors. Most (or all) of them are rebranded monitors but the quality control is much higher at Lacie then with lets say samsung. Lacie sells monitors with a nice rebranded gretag spyder and their software is very nice... Infact it can be used to calibrate and profile any monitor on mac and windows (I calibrate for everyone I know) and the software is just as good on both platforms (mac or PC). There are a number of custom and preset options to choose from. The software allows you to factor in the ambient color temperature of the room and it has a lot lot more patches then the crappy samsung software.

My Lacie is a 730, which is based on the samsung 30xl. I also own a samsung branded 20xl and it is crap. The blacks are reddish, and the mount is off so it is crooked. I can see why samsung discontinued the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    C'mon, this is a ridiculous contention. De-lamination is not caused by software, or hardware that sits next to it... it's a manufacturing defect.

I've been on the mac for 30 years. I have no interest at all in a mac vs pc discussion, but my personal opinion is that mac is many years ahead of the Windoze operating systems. I have both, and I have no interest in making my life miserable. In the 30 years I have had 20-30 monitors and only 2 have failed.

I'm glad for anyone that likes their Eizo, I am simply reporting that I have had a bad experience with them. My next monitor will be an Apple monitor, with a real warranty.

Lenny
    only 2 have failed, one was a mac, and one was an eizo. The only eizo you had failed, hence it must be 1 of 1 failure rate compared to your mac 1 out of 18-28 failure rate. Both were your 2 last monitors (?), and both had the same exact failure. Maybe you have changed something in what you have been doing in 30 years to have this problem, or it could have been a coincidence you bought two defective screens one after the other.

In my opinion a 5 year warranty is better then a 4 year warranty which would be better then a 1, 2 or 3 year warranty.

I have tried to find out what screen delamination is, as i have never seen or hear about that, and what i found is that 2010-2011 vintage mac screens are prone to that problem. I tried but could not find a similar reference to Eizo monitors with that issue. Still the statistics above cannot lie.

For the price, i would rather have an Eizo/NEC. Each and every one of those i have seen installed changed the life of the person using it (including me). The perceived high price of these is a small price to pay for the inherit benefit they offer to your eyes and brain.

I have an Eizo ColorEdge 24". The best $1,800 I ever spent on a monitor. The HP Dreamcolors are very nice also.

I believe NEC makes the IPS display for the Eizo, Not sure about the HP
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

only 2 have failed, one was a mac, and one was an eizo. The only eizo you had failed, hence it must be 1 of 1 failure rate compared to your mac 1 out of 18-28 failure rate. Both were your 2 last monitors (?), and both had the same exact failure. Maybe you have changed something in what you have been doing in 30 years to have this problem, or it could have been a coincidence you bought two defective screens one after the other.
    This is just silly. I have plenty of other monitors around here that are fine. The monitor was the first mac product that ever failed on me. I wouldn't suggest that macs never break for anyone else. In my other life, I am a computing professional... I'm sorry but your arguments simply don't hold water. If you knew anything about delamination you would understand it is a manufacturing defect, and not controlled by he computer. here's a thesis: http://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/19...i-umd-3916.pdf

In my opinion a 5 year warranty is better then a 4 year warranty which would be better then a 1, 2 or 3 year warranty.For the price, i would rather have an Eizo/NEC. Each and every one of those i have seen installed changed the life of the person using it (including me). The perceived high price of these is a small price to pay for the inherit benefit they offer to your eyes and brain.
    A warranty, no matter how long, that doesn't cover the most common failure, is not much use. I would venture to say that some monitors are better than others, that's for certain, but this one is not better enough to warrant the price, in my opinion.

I just found out that the newer 5k monitors will be a long wait, apparently they have to wait for the Skylake chip, the one that comes after Haswell, about 1.5-2 years. Ugh. However the Thunderbolt display is long overdue for an upgrade, at about twice the time between all previous upgrades.

The NEC and the Apple Thunderbolt are in the same price range. If Apple puts out a new one with a reasonable color space, I'll get it...
    EigerStudios

If you were closer I'd offer to lend you one of my monitors while the Eizo gets fixed.

I would definitely complain to the company and tell them that the should fix it for free. For the price you paid I'd say its the least they can do. Let them know about this thread and how their poor handling of this issue is hurting their reputation. If you have to, go to the BBB.

There is a Sony Artisan on the LL forum for a low price. It might be a good back up monitor for you. It is located in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    There is a Sony Artisan on the LL forum for a low price. It might be a good back up monitor for you. It is located in LA.
    Thanks, that is a great monitor. However, its huge, and I am enjoying the space on my desk. Two weeks ago I cleared it off, put everything in Evernote. The impossible is apparently possible!

Appreciate you keeping me in mind...

Lenny
    EigerStudios