Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 used cameras are mainly from the US

Re: 8x10 used cameras are mainly from the US

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I think starting with 4x5 can be a bit of a dead end. You will need scanning or an enlargers to get prints which are satisfactory.
    I think most people overestimate the use they will be making of movements (there is a thread on this) and I would recommend (no surprise to oldtimers here!) an 18x24cm or full plate tailboard camera.
    I imagine this is probably true, but I think part of the excitement of going large format is the chance to work with movements and see what can be done! If I had enough money, I think I would get a normal 8x10 for film, and a older, more gorgeous camera for plate! Just out of interest, it there a reason why you would recommend a tailboard over other styles of pre-1900 cameras?

MilamBardo,

I have bought on E-bay Germany a couple of times and I used the word translator either in word or on the net. I typically buy from stores or sellers with a large number of sells and perfect ratings. I have had a couple of problems with small sellers with bad products: a 4 3/8" American dagor lens with fungus, and a bent 16x20 4 blade summons omega easel. Because I purchased through Paypal both went back and my money was returned - I did have to pay for the return shipping.

Thanks, Robert - I'll keep this in mind. Would you normally ask the seller to send via courier? (rather than normal post?)

" ....is there a reason why you would recommend a tailboard over other styles of pre-1900 cameras?"
    - availability (in Europe).
    - price - helped by the fact that most have just the retail outlets name on them, that is, "no-name". Apart from Gandolfi's model!
    - variety of size available (9x12, 10x15, 13x18, 18x24, 24x30, 30x40, 40x50 and 50x60 cm, plus UK made (in 1/4 plate up to 12x10 and 15x12").
    - condition. Unlike a lot of english style field cameras, these have remained in storage from early in the 20th century.
    - Simplicity of controls.
    - Very solid front standard which allows use of heavy and wide lenses.
    - Many square bellows are prepared for use as stereo cameras using a single lens.
    - Most have book plate holders which are suitable for alternative plate photography.