Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Super Technika

Linhof Super Technika

I have recently come into ownership of a Super Technika (S/N 45615) that I am trying to sell. I have all the goodies, Linhof leather camera case, manuel, all typs of filters etc. Lenses with the collection include the following Linhof lenses: 240 - f5.5, 90 - f6.8, 65 - f6.8, 180 - f5.5, 105 - f3.5, (Schneider Kreuznach) and the following additional lenses: 135 - f5.6 Symmar, 105 - f2.8 Xenotar, 185 - f5.6 Symmar, and 65 - f8.0 Super Angulon. The camera is in good shape with no pinholes in the bellows. I am trying to get an idea of the price of this setup which I plan to sell as a complete set. Can someone provide me with an estimated price?

Tom

Linhof Super Technika

Put it on eBay with good pictures and an accurate and complete description and see what you get. The price will depend on the particular model of Technika, condition, which lenses have proper cams, whether the filters are Linhof slip-in filters or another kind, and what other accessories are involved. If there are at least 3 cammed lenses (serial numbers on the cam should match the lens, and also the body if it's older than a Tech V), it would be a more desirable kit than if you only have one or no cammed lenses. If all these lenses are cammed, then you have something quite unusual.

From the range of lenses you list, I'm guessing this is a 6x9 Technika, maybe a Super Tech IV or something of that era? So are there rollfilm backs, and what kind are they? Newer lever-wind backs will be worth more than older knob wind backs, which don't always work properly with modern films.

Linhof Super Technika

Your serial number is for the original Technika III 6x9 camera from about 1954. Before you give a claim for the condition it would be strongly suggested that this camera be properly CLA as there are no repair parts for this model and there are no accessories for this model. If it has been just sitting as opposed to being used for most of its' life a service call will be very important. So will a proper evaluation of the bellow's condition.

Linhof Super Technika

I am new with these large format cameras. What is meant by "this camera be properly CLA ". The camera has been kept in a properly conditioned environment and doesn't appear to have much wear and tare.

Linhof Super Technika

Do an "advanced" search on eBay for completed auctions for "6x9, Technika IIIs" and the related lenses.

Selling items individually will almost always generate more money, but I think that if you counted each lens as being worth $100 to $200 each, and the body worth $300, with the case and accessories as "deal sweeteners" - you are probably in the $1200 range to be realistic. Sell the lens and items individually and you could probably double your money or better, if they are truly in excellent condition. People are cautious with new sellers with limited feedback, especially when they sell a large "lump" of older equipment. If getting some quick cash out of it without a lot of hassle is your goal, you might do better selling to a reputable dealer or eBayer for $1200, and letting them earn their profit by selling it in multiple auctions.

The camera is undoubtedly a beauty, but not many people really want to use a 6x9 Baby Technika III anymore...

Linhof Super Technika

CLA means clean, lubricate and adjust. Something that any good repair service can do.

How long has it been since the camera and lenses have been used?

Linhof Super Technika

As far as splitting up the kit goes--I would keep cammed lenses with the kit and sell off any uncammed lenses separately. Lenses for 6x9 aren't in huge demand, and getting new cammed lenses for a Tech III is an iffy proposition (has to be done by an independent shop, and there aren't many who do it), so cammed lenses for a camera like this would make it a more valuable package.

If all of these lenses have been sitting unused for 10 or more years, the lubricants have likely dried up, and someone could be buying 9 shutters in need of cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment, at a cost of $60-100 each.

Linhof Super Technika

Reguarding the lenses, they are all Schneider Kreuznach Synchro-Compu lenses. I don't know if these are cammed lenses. The lenses marked Linhof are: f5.5 - 240 Xenar, f6.8 - 90 Augulon, f6.8 - 65 Augulon, f5.5 - 180 Xenar, and f3.5 - 105 Xenar. The other lenses that are not marked Linhof are: f5.6 - 135 Symmar, 2.8 - 105 Xenotar, f5.6 - 185 Symmar, and f8.0 - 65 Super Angulon. The film container is a Super Rollex 56x72.

Linhof Super Technika

The cam is small flat peice of metal with three arms - it installs into the bed of the camera, under the rails. It should be marked to the corresponding lens with serial number and focal length (probably a combination like 65-105-180). David is right - keep the matching cam, camera and lenses together if possible.

The Super Rollex back is also valuable. It sounds like a very nice set-up - you should do some digital pictures of it from all sides. Do close-ups of all the serial numbers, front, top, bottom, and back views - the better your descriptions - faults and all - the better price you will get.

Linhof Super Technika

The lenses have been sitting for about 10 years but they appear to be functioning very well.