Thread: Seneca 5x7 View help needed

Seneca 5x7 View help needed

I bought 2 7x5 Seneca View cameras recently from a fellow member (via Ebay) and need some help/suggestions on refinishing them

The first is a New Improved Seneca View, essentially there's nothing wrong except the camera body is black and the back wood finish, What would be the best paint/lacquer to match the back to the body? I'll plate the brass fittings to match. Also it's missing it's name plate, I need a good photograph of one so I can make a new one.

The second camera a City View has no back, the bellows are shot and although it has a front standard it's missing the part that the bellows screw towhich also holds the lens board as well as the geared spindle and thumb screws that control the rise & fall.

I'm looking for parts to restore it, any help appreciated, I need the corner fittings that hold the back in place. Meanwhile I'll make new bellows, I plan to use the camera for 7x5, 5x4 and 617 - I'll make a temporary front panel which will take a Linhof/Wista lens boards. In the long term I'd like to restore it to it's original spec though. The City View body has the advantage that the front rail is split to allow shift, it can also be removed.

Ian

Re: Seneca 5x7 View help needed

Is the camera painted black or something like a black "China black" lacquer.
    Cheers Shane

Re: Seneca 5x7 View help needed

It's painted black, I've found a Rustoleum paint that matches well - Painters Touch Matt Black, it's not Matt at all but it's not Satin or Gloss either.

I've made a new front panel for the City View, taking Linhof/Wista lens boards, it's just been primed. I've also found a local machinist/engineer to make the missing parts - we live in the same small road . . . . . . he works on rocket engines at work, makes large scale model steam engines etc as a hobby.

My major need now is a high quality image of the name plate for the Improved View, so I can sort out a replica.

Ian