Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where I can this deardorff screw?

Photographer

Re: where I can this deardorff screw?

If it’s one of the screws that holds the bellows frame in the back, take another out and take it to Ace hardware to find another. If it’s another screw, you will need to be more descriptive.
    Keith Pitman

It's the screw that holds the rear standard to the base of the camera, see attached photo. I was under the impression that standard hardware screws were not the same.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	172369
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0683.jpg  

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jstersurf View Post
    It's the screw that holds the rear standard to the base of the camera, see attached photo. I was under the impression that standard hardware screws were not the same.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	172369
    Take the adjacent or opposite screw out and go to Ace. They mayhave a screw that fits or will at least tell you what size. I checked my camera; it’s not a 4-40 or 2-56 but in-between.
    Keith Pitman

it’s not a 4-40 or 2-56 but in-between

Then most likely a 3-48 (coarse) or 3-56 (fine). Not a common size anymore, but still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    it’s not a 4-40 or 2-56 but in-between

Then most likely a 3-48 (coarse) or 3-56 (fine). Not a common size anymore, but still available.
    I checked, McMaster has some brass for sure. Steel maybe. I have a few brass somewhere. I buy tiny screws by the 100 pack. Very hard to find anything after my move. Don't count on me. Good luck.

It's better to have it screwed somehow than not at all. Toothpicks and matches can help.

Photographer

I dug out a screw checker from one of my tool chests. It’s a 4-40 x 1/4. 4-40 should not be hard to find, but 1/4” may be. You can file down a longer screw to fit however. Good luck.

This conclusion is based on my 5x7/4x5 Deardorff. If yours is an 8x10, the screw may be a different size, but probably not.
    Keith Pitman

Hey ! On the V8 I have sitting here currently disassembled (a 1950-51 with serial number, front swing etc.) the screw in question is definitely a #6-32 x 1/8" long. The head is undercut so there is good contact around the perimeter of the head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v8shoescrews.jpg  
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Depends on the age of the camera I guess. I just checked the same screw on a 1937 V5OS and it is #4-36 !
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I dug out a screw checker from one of my tool chests. It’s a 4-40 x 1/4. 4-40 should not be hard to find, but 1/4” may be. You can file down a longer screw to fit however. Good luck.

This conclusion is based on my 5x7/4x5 Deardorff. If yours is an 8x10, the screw may be a different size, but probably not.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Have you tried contacting Catlabs? I believe someone else on this site said that he purchased some of the remaining inventory from Barry C. who was last making and selling Deardorff cameras and parts. Koh from Catlabs is sometimes on this site.

Robert

when I can't find the correct shoulder screw i replace it with whatever size screw fits the hole and use a lock nut in place of the regular nut. the lock nut is not going to move from where you set it.

hardware stores and hobby shops are your best sources for just about any screws.