Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where I can this deardorff screw?

where I can this deardorff screw?

I have a deardorff V8, but one screw is missing showed on photo (circled by red). My question is where I can find one?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deardorff_screw.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	124696

loujon

Re: where I can this deardorff screw?

Why not try Barry C who sales new Deardorff parts. I'm not sure of his eBay name but many here have had good luck w/ him for "parts". Not so much luck when ordering newly built Deardorff from Barry though. Then Ken Hough a member here may have the part as well.

Assuming you can find the screw, how are the threads it screws into? If the screw is missing it is a good sign that there are problems with the threads.

It is not a screw, but a short bolt which pokes just past the next-down steel bar, and at the end of the bolt is a very thin nut that holds a tension-rod.

Three pictures.
    Looking from the top of the part.
    Underneath showing the spring-rod and thin nut holding it in place.
    Second angle on that tension-rod. You can see that the nut doesn't bind, but let's it move a bit.

The snapshots aren't great, but they should suffice.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 7-Nov-2014 at 15:23.

thanks Jac. My camera has thin nut and a tension-rod. Just the short bolt is missing.

I found Barry C. Cochran store on Ebay, but can not find the bolt I am looking for.

This screw is actually a "shoulder screw" which has a larger diameter, unthreaded shoulder, that is the bearing surface for the larger bore in the top plate of the turntable assembly. The shoulder is slightly longer than the thickness of the top plate, when the nut is tightened down completely there is still a bit of room for the two plates to slide against each other. They are actually slightly bowed in opposite directions (so there would be a gap in the middle without the screw tightened) to keep the interface snug between them. The reason for the groove in the nut, is for the spring that keeps the swing lock nuts towards the front of the camera.
    Further, this shoulder screw has a very low profile head so there is clearance with the rear wooden frame when folding and unfolding the camera.
    I doubt you will find this screw "off the shelf" other than through Barry Cochran or Ken Hough. Barry is "attrevida" on ebay, or email him through his http://www.deardorffcameras.com/ website. I have never had any trouble dealing with him, despite the difficulty he seems to be having getting new cameras out the door.
    EDIT: The shoulder may pass through both layers of the turntable assembly, I don't remember off the top of my head. In any event, the low profile head is the deal breaker for hardware stores or McMaster-Carr. Barry or Ken......
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I suppose I should have removed the screw on my unit to see what it is.
    Tracy's explanation is good.

See the low profile shoulder screws here.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=ui1gmy

My local suppliers don't carry any but large ones for automotive applications.

I hadn't seen the "low profile head" Shoulder screws at Mcmaster, but now I've looked, and Son of a Gun, they might have something that is perfect, though I don't feel like pulling that screw out of my camera for specs. For anyone needing this in the future, you would choose a screw with a shoulder slightly longer than the two metal plates combined so when the nut is tightened the plates are still free to rotate.
    Thanks Jac for taking the time.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

a screw with a shoulder slightly longer than the two metal plates combined

The original screw is probably one of the standard patterns, but in any event there are "shortening" and "lengthening" washers for shoulder screws; the former go under the head, so the effective length of the shoulder is reduced while the latter go on the threaded shank at the bottom of the shoulder. They are used to adjust the clearance for rotating or sliding parts in machines or tool-and-die work, in increments of a few thousandths of an inch. Unlike regular washers, these are made with ID and OD specifically matched to the standard sizes of shoulder screws.

I just noticed that my Deardorff is missing a screw and I'm leaving next week for a shoot. It's the screw on the rear standard in the lower right corner of the photograph above. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?